cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My internet radio can't find my network

BertCoules
Grafter

My internet radio can't find my network

I hope this is the right section for this enquiry.  I have a modest home network built around my PlusNet Thomson wireless router: two PCs connected to the router by Ethernet cable and one laptop which uses a wireless connection.  After some initial setting-up headaches (speedily and kindly solved in this forum) everything is working perfectly.
I've now acquired an Internet radio, the Cleaver Magic Box.  From everything I'd seen and read, especially this YouTube tutorial, using it seemed to be easy: switch it on for the first time, wait while it detects my network, enter the security key and off you go.
Unfortunately, the radio doesn't detect my network.  It does find something called "BTFON" (which I suspect might be emanating from my neighbour's house) but it can't connect even to that.
Do I need to do something to my existing network or router to make it visible to the radio?  The set is no more than ten feet from my router, and my laptop operates perfectly at far greater distances, so I don't think it's a question of signal strength.  Or could it be that my radio (bought new from Comet on eBay) is faulty?  (The obvious paranoid leap-to conclusion, I know, but it could be...)
My main PC is running Windows 7, my second PC and my laptop have Windows XP Pro.
Many thanks for any thoughts.
Bert
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My internet radio can't find my network

Have you set the router to broadcast its SSID
BertCoules
Grafter

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that (so I suspect that the answer is no).  Can you talk me through the procedure please?
Bert
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This is a page from the standard user manual for the 585 - does this help
BertCoules
Grafter

Many thanks.  Unfortunately, Broadcast Network Name was already ticked, and New Stations are Allowed...  was selected. 
I do have Use WPA-PSK Encryption selected too.  Could that be the problem?
Bert
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I doubt if this is the solution but do you know what wi-fi channel the router is using?
If it's 12 or 13 then some devices will not see it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks for the thought.  I just checked and it's channel six.
Bert
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The security setting shouldn't stop the wireless seeing it
BertCoules
Grafter

Well, I've made progress of a sort.  I tried a network scan on the radio again (as I had several times before) and, without making any alterations anywhere, up came PlusNet Wireless 48EF98. I selected it and was prompted for a passcode.
The router's label has a code marked Router Password (which has eleven characters and begins CP114...) and another called Wireless Key (ten characters beginning 13CE...).  I tried entering the first and the radio accepted it but didn't connect. Eventually  Wireless connect timeout was displayed.  So I backtracked, tried the second code - and the same thing happened.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong now?  Many thanks.
Bert
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The code beginning CP is the serial number of the router which is used for logging into its web interface. You would have had to use that when you were checking WiFi settings.
The other code is the wireless access key and you can check this on the same Wireless Access Point page as you previously visited. Did you enter that code in capital letters on your radio?
If you have a TG585v8 it also broadcasts using 65 Mbps wireless N. It's possible that might be confusing the radio, You could try selecting Interface 802.11g near the top of the page. Does the radio support WPA2? The router simultaneously supports WPA and WPA2 so a WPA (only) device should be able to connect; however if the user guide doesn't mention WPA2 you could try selecting WPA alone.
Another possibility is the length of the SSID causing problems. You could try shortening it to (say) Plusnet48EF98.
David
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks for that.  I've now identified and entered (in caps) the correct wireless access key.  I tried another scan and, as before, I got the Network Error: Wireless Connect Timout message.
Quote from: spraxyt
If you have a TG585v8 it also broadcasts using 65 Mbps wireless N. It's possible that might be confusing the radio, You could try selecting Interface 802.11g near the top of the page.

The settings were: Interface Type 802.11b/g/n, Actual Speed 65Mbps.  
I changed this to 802.11g (which reported an actual speed of 54 Mbps) and tried another scan.  These are the messages which came up:
Starting
Initialising Network
Connecting to PlusNet Wireless 48EF98
Network OK

Then after a short hesitation:

Starting
Initialising Network
Network OK

This cycle continued until I was finally presented with:
No networks found
Another possibility is the length of the SSID causing problems. You could try shortening it to (say) Plusnet48EF98.

I've just done that and started another scan.  No Networks Found again.
I'm now off to try a complete factory reset of the radio to see if that makes any difference.
Edited to add:
Well, it didn't.  Largely because, despite what it says in the manual, there doesn't seem to be a Factory Reset option in the operating menu.
Oh dear.
Bert
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

You could try for a quick test disabling wireless security, to rule this out as a cause. If it connects, what does the manual say about what wireless security it supports. If that dosnt work, can you connect it wired as a test?.  Remember to re-enable the securty again whatever the test shows Crazy
BertCoules
Grafter

Penfold, thanks for the thoughts.  I'll try disabling wireless security, as you suggest.  I can tell you the entirety of what the manual says on matters  technical:
Power adaptor:
Output DC 6V 1A  
Input AC 100-240V/50-60Hz
Frequency range:
DAB Band III 174MHz - 240 MHz
FM 87.5MHz - 108 MHz
And that's it.  The instructions are no better on general operation: there are a good few things in the menus which aren't mentioned at all.  
I'll report back about the wireless security experiment.
Reporting back:
A new scan with encryption disabled produced these messages:
Starting
Initialising Network
Connecting to PlusNet48EF98
Scanning
Select Network:
  BTFON
  BT Openzone-H
  BT Home Hub2-FH22

I'm beginning to think the damn radio is laughing at me.
Bert
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The instructions are no better on general operation: there are a good few things in the menus which aren't mentioned at all.

Tried to find the manual on the website but there isn't one for that model Sad
Looking at one of the other models, the Nocturne XP-2, it has a 'Manual config' option. Using that you can input the SSID,Password and DHCP Enable .
Does yours have any similar option ? if so try entering the info for your PlusNet router and make sure DHCP is enabled.
This
Starting
Initialising Network
Network OK
looks like maybe its connecting to the router, authenticating ok but then failing to get an IP address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does the radio get a mention on the router's Home Network->Devices page http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/devs/ov/?be=0&l0=4&l1=0?
David