cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My internet has been connected - AFTER WAITING NEARLY A MONTH!!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My internet has been connected - AFTER WAITING NEARLY A MONTH!!

Hi PN
Openreach have decided to come and connect me early, and typing this from computer which is connected!
Will you credit my account for the downtime of services?
Also why did the engineer not fit an external NTE?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
56 REPLIES 56
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: My internet has been connected - AFTER WAITING NEARLY A MONTH!!

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
Also why did the engineer not fit an external NTE?

Hi,
Whilst I cannot answer the question, I can suggest good reasons against having an external NTE.
1. BTOR is only responsible for the cabling up to the NTE - thus if the NTE is external, then the subscriber is responsible for the external cabling into the property in addition to the internal cabling.
2. If you ever have BB issues and need to eliminate your internal cabling (or that which you are responsible for) you are not able to access / plug direct into an external NTE's test socket.
I guess like any other position these merits are open to debate.  Personally I would not thank you for an external NTE - in the event of a fault, I would want to know that the infrastructure up to the point I can actually reach is sound.

HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I thought BT had actually given up on them because of all the issues.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

So what would happen if I got fibre? Can I choose to have the master socket in bedroom for modem/router and the downstairs telephone socket as a slave for telephone?
It is wired like this
BT EXCHANGE ---> Property (Copper cable) ---> Downstairs telephone socket 1 (downstairs) ----> telephone socket 2 (Upstairs)
THe 2nd socket is getting DATA and VOICE from telephone socket 1.
Is this normal on most new build houses? It would make sense if the socket 2 was master for fibre so I can connect computer directly to router.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Please can someone update my account details including change of telephone number and address? Also can you make sure the order status is completed so I can place a fibre order?
Jamie
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Jamie,
Your details have now been updated and the order is completed. I've also refunded for the downtime, this can take up to 10 days to process to your account.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Was the BT incoming cable already wired up and just had to be connected, or did the engineer actually install an incoming cable and NTE5a and is the NTE5a this socket 1 your refer to.
If the engineer actually had to install the incoming cable, why the hell didn't you get it install to socket "2" in the first place?
Edit: External NTE's are no longer used because they are not appropriate with Fibre.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

To your question AnotherOne
On the building site, Openreach had contractors to install sockets and internal wiring.  So socket 2 is connected to socket 1 both of em are standard telephone sockets and not a master socket in the house.
BT had to come to connect the Black copper wire to the telephone sockets to provide a connection. 
Yes BT cable was already coming to the property but just needed to be connected to telephone sockets physically.
So when I get fibre, how will I get my DSL connection? would he change a telephone socket faceplate.
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt Openreach had contractors installing internal wiring and sockets, more likely the builders had a contractor do that - which begs the question - is the internal wiring to CW1308 standard? Check the colour of the wires, there should be Blue+white trace on terminal 2 and White+blue trace on terminal 5, there may be Orange+white trace on terminal 3.
If the Black incoming BT cable (presumably CW1411 or similar) is connected to socket 1, I'd be surprised if that socket wasn't a Master even if not an NTE5a. Have a check for the ring capacitor and surge arrestor. If neither socket 1 or 2 is a master, then does the BT incoming cable go somewhere else first?
As far as what happens when you have Fibre installed, I would have thought you would have learnt from your previous experience!
Is socket 2 (or the room it's in) on the same external wall as socket 1? I presume there is a power socket reasonably close to socket 2.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The socket 2 is in the room above socket 1
I will get some photos of the internal wiring.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

After searching all over house I cant find master  Undecided
I will find floor plans of this house and upload it
Anotherone
Champion

No need for floor plans, pictures are more informative and the fact that you've said that socket 2 is above socket 1 is also sufficient.
Does the incoming cable go straight through the outside wall to socket 1?
WonderWabbit
Grafter

maybe i'm miss-understanding the conversation here,
but isnt this all academic?
Are we talking "New Build"?
Are we talking Fibre to Cabinet (FTTC) and copper onward to Home? (my set-up)
Firstly, if you are having Fibre installed/ or change to Fibre from ADSL Broadband, your main socket will be changed out for one suitable for fibre.
If this is new build, the OpenReach (BT) engineer will test and track line into the property:
Pictures are irrelevant as Whatever is existing, he will change out to a master socket suitable for fibre to comply with installation.
In theory, Plusnet advises
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/fibre/fibre_faq.shtml#installWhere
"The engineer should be able to install the service wherever you like, subject to the following requirements:
    The BT Openreach modem must be connected directly to your new master socket.
    Your router needs to be connected to the BT Openreach modem with the included Ethernet cable.
    Both will need to be plugged into a power outlet."
In reality,
when the engineer rings up to say he's on his way
that is the time to tell him you will be wanting to have the main socket positioned elsewhere, which you will show him when he comes to assess.
Mine, altho he did do the work in the end, did get a bit huffy, as i live on a 7th floor, and that meant going back to a van he couldnt park locally, for extra tools to complete the job.
As an exBT engineer, my experience has been they will do the work,
so long as there is little inconvenience
speeds up time on the job
makes it easier so he can check and sign-off as OK
and complies with Set-Up standards.
Regards
Anotherone
Champion

Then as an ex-BT engineer you should realise that the conversation is not academic.
Obviously Jamie wants the socket where he wants it, BUT he will also want the neatest job possible. That doesn't necessarily mean that the way the "engineer" may want to do the job will meet that criteria. Likewise there is little point in trying to ask him/her to do something that's not practical, so trying to assess the situation well before hand and allow Jamie to consider the options is the best idea.
You should also be aware that on new builds, the standard of internal wiring put in by builders and electricians is not always CW1308 which may impact on the way the job is done. The EU has the option of a Data Extension kit - the Modem does not have to be plugged in to the new Master socket - however often a Data Extension kit is not the neatest or easiest method and relocating the Master along with re-routing the incoming drop-wire is often a simpler and quicker solution used by some engineers - but unfortunately that's not always practical.
And I'm surprised that you believe that every "engineer" that turns up to do a FTTC install is actually an Openreach engineer who will do a good job. Most OR engineers do (there are some that let the side down), but there's a lot of sub-contractors doing the jobs and doing them badly and failing to do even basic checks, some aren't even fitting the correct vDSL plate and NTE5a.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I am unable to track where the wire goes but I know where it enters, and the first socket is in the living room
I am going to take some pics and upload them onto this thread