Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My friend,s internet not working

idlewis
Grafter

My friend,s internet not working

Hi there
Can anyone tell me what causes the internet not to work.  Is it fixable?
She said the laptop said it cannot connect to the internet and I paid her a bit of money for the laptop and she want's me to take back the laptop her money but I am concerned that it will be something simple that is wrong.
Any advice
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My friend,s internet not working

I don't really understand the details of the post but I am moving it to Broadband and Routers  and you will need to do a bit of investigating.
First is the router connecting to the internet - all lights green
Second can the laptop see the router via wireless
If it can't take try connecting by wire (take one along to test)
Can the laptop see any other wireless stations if it can't see her router
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What make of laptop?
What make of router
Is router connected via cable to laptop ?
Do you know the "security" code of the Router ?
If using wireless connection..... is the wireless actually switched on, on the laptop ?
Download  "inSSIDer" onto a dongle, then onto the laptop, to see what wireless signals are available.... it should see the router if it is wireless as the most strongest signal.
the more info you can give ..... the more easy it will be to diagnose your problems....
idlewis
Grafter

the acer is name of the laptop i think, It is Virgin the name of the broadband.  From what she said everything is connected and I think Virgin not put the wireless connection in despite saying that she has a wireless.  As oldjim it might be the router. but the the router is only there for a couple of years amd all lights are green.
Thanks for your help.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

How are plusnet and its users supposed to help you fix a virgin broadband connection?  Huh
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idlewis
Grafter

I just asking what are the causes of not having an internet connection.  She is disabled and virgin was not helpful when she phoned.  I have just contacted someone and said that they will help the next time I am in her house.  She can't join plusnet as she has a package with Virgin.
Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is the router Really a router and not a Cable Modem?
You say that all lights are green I have a sneaky feeling that it is a Super Hub

If it is a Super Hub it should have a Blue Light flashing on it that is the top Light should flash Blue!
If the Light is not Blue and  flashing the wireless connection is not connected.
The "Default Security Code" of the Super Hub is on the Back of the Super Hub.
Call NTL on any NTL Phone on 150 and go to Broadband for help setting up the Super Hub.
Hope this helps!
[Edit] Added Linke
How do I set up the Virgin Media Super Hub?
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

All three of the laptops here have an internet on/off button, two of them with seperate buttons the other embedded in the keyboard. Simple and basic I know but you never know it might just be switched off. I've certainly accidentally switched off or my cat has walked across it and done it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes my cat loves to sleep on top of my tower , and she regularly puts a paw on the power button  Shocked
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If your friend is using an old-fashioned virgin cable modem (black, about the size of a cigarette packet) or the even older NTL cable modem (larger, metallic silver) then there is a trick she needs to know.  The modem "binds" to whatever it sees at the end of the cable so you cannot unplug the cable to one computer and plug in another computer; you won't get a connection.  If you want to switch computers you have to power-down the modem (just unplug the power), wait 30 seconds then plug it back in with the new computer connected (or the new router if you are using one).