cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My estimated speed has just changed (and the time is in the future!)

jbrumhead
Grafter

My estimated speed has just changed (and the time is in the future!)

Hello Smiley I have been a customer of PlusNet for 14 days and was given a speed estimate of 3.0mb. Throughout this period the speed has not been faster than 1.85mb and this morning I have noticed that in the members area the "estimated speed" has suddenly changed from 3.0mb to 1.5mb.. with a time of 10.10 today (even though it is only 9.20 now!). I have run various speed tests over the past 2 weeks but I haven't been able to carry out the btspeedtest check as I don't have a device that supports Flash in the house at the moment. Also it says my line speed is "not set" which is strange as the 10-day period has passed. What are my next steps?
24 REPLIES 24
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My estimated speed has just changed (and the time is in the future!)

Hi,
A line test is showing you in sync at 8096kb/s which is pretty good, strange that that hasn't set a profile yet though. Is that similar to the sync speeds you're seeing in the router?
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hi Matt. Are you sure you're looking at the correct phone number? I can't see where you are getting this sync speed of 8096kb/s from. I have tried another router and that downloads at the same speed of 1.85mb so it can't be my Thomson router from PlusNet. If I was estimated to get 3.0mb connection, it seems unlikely that my sync would be 8096kb/s. I can't check my router stats as I'm not currently there right this second unfortunately. Can you re-check the line speed? Also, if sync is showing 8096 why has estimated speed now dropped to 1.5mb? I am 2miles from the exchange and am connected directly to it (no cabinet).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Yes, absolutely positive. We don't actually have a line profile assigned to your line from our suppliers, which could explain why things seem to be happening so randomly - I'd definitely recommend checking what the router is reporting though.
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hi again Smiley I checked my router and my sync was 8096kb/s as you correctly stated yesterday. I ran the BT Speed Test 3 times (and submitted results) and got the following info on 1 of the tests.
Download speed during test: 1.88Mbps
DSL Connecting Rate: 8.1Mbps (down-stream), 0.45 (Up-stream)
IP Profile: 2 Mbps
As you can see the connecting rate is good but the IP Profile is not right for the sync speed. Please can you do whatever you can to reset it so that I can get a good download speed? I turned my router on and off and the sync speed dropped to 7616 but still a respectable rate.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Definitely is. I've requested an SNR reset on your line, should take effect later on this afternoon - around 4 hours or so usually. Hope it kicks the profile into life and you start getting speeds matching your sync rate Smiley
jbrumhead
Grafter

Thanks Matt! And if it doesn't, does that mean there is a fault somewhere and I need to raise a ticket?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I'd say so - I'd be surprised if the SNR reset doesn't fix it though. Fingers crossed!
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hi Matt. Thanks for resetting the SNR but I have tested my connection over the weekend and I'm afraid it doesn't appear to have worked. My modem sync speed is 7808kb/s but my download speed is still struggling at 1.85Mb/s. Is there anything else you can do or shall I raise a ticket?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does a BT Wholesale diagnostic test still show the IP Profile is 2Mbps?
If that has increased, has the Plusnet Current line speed increased to match?
David
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hello. I have not been able to complete the BT Wholesale diagnostic test this weekend as I don't have a device that supports flash. I carried out the test on Thursday using a friend's laptop and it report 2Mbps. The download speed this weekend was around 1.85Mbps which suggests the IP profile is still around 2Mbps despite a SNR reset. Also of note, according to the members centre, my line speed still shows as 'not set'. Very strange as I have been with PlusNet now over 2 weeks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear that's still an issue. I'll prepare Matt for a surprise Wink
It looks like the SNR reset didn't take effect, I've submitted another and I'll come back and perform some tests in a couple of hours to see if the subsequent one had the desired effect and look at what we can do next if not.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jbrumhead
Grafter

Thanks Adam! I look forward to hearing the results Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Sorry to say there still seems to be an issue but I'll keep hold of this until it's sorted for you, basically there seems to be a mismatch between speed profiles on 2 of our suppliers systems so I need to get that fixed.
I'll need to deal with this a different way which will be a little more time consuming so bear with me and I'll try and get this nailed ASAP, hopefully today.
Adam
EDIT: right, that should be sorted now (touch wood) I've had a mismatch between speed profiles on 2 different systems corrected and I've been advised that a 5500kbps profile has been applied so I've set the profile on your account with us to match that, I'd expect that to be effective within a couple of hours, let me know if not please Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jbrumhead
Grafter

This is great news, thanks Adam! Fingers crossed this has fixed it. Please would you explain to me how the mis-matches could've occurred? Also, do you know why the 2Mbps profile took precedence? Finally, if the sync rate on my router is between 7600-8096kbps, isn't a 5500kbps profile still lower than you would expect?
Thanks again