cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My downloads seem to be throttled?

esseff
Grafter

My downloads seem to be throttled?

My PN plan (Broadband Premier Option 1) gives me off-peak access until 4pm and I use it sometimes to download from sites such as Rapidshare, Megaupload in the early afternoon. I always get line speed until 4pm. I've just tried downloading 2 different files from RS and one from MU and both are coming in at 5% line speed at 70kbps. My download speed from non-download sites isn't affected. Could something have been changed by mistake?

20 REPLIES 20
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My downloads seem to be throttled?

Hi esseff,
I can't think of any recent changes, is there any chance you could run a wireshark capture while you're downloading so we can pass that on to our network gurus? There's a guide here if you need, thanks.
esseff
Grafter

Doesn't look like I can. After launching Wireshark (OSX version) and choosing Capture>Interfaces, no device shows up there for me select.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah - that's an OSX permissions issue (the program is running as a user but the interfaces are only readable by root). There should be a script that comes with wireshark enabling user read permissions on startup (so perhaps a reboot might fix it) but if not there's more detail on this thread.
esseff
Grafter

Tried as best I can, but after following the instructions and copying the appropriate folder into the Startup items folder and restarting, OSX 10.6.3 automatically disables it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Snow Leopard specific instructions here - sorry for all the back and forth-ing.
esseff
Grafter

That was a lot harder than it should've been - I'm really not a geek. How do I upload the file as it's not in the allowed file types?
Edit - I changed the suffix to pdf. If you change it back to pcap it should be fine.
esseff
Grafter

Anybody there?
I have to download some large files overnight - is this problem going to stop me from doing this too?
Update: Well, it's now after 4pm so there's no way I'll be able to test the speed assuming you were able to do something. I really need to get those files tonight. Can I assume I'll be able to download without a problem after midnight? If I can't I'll need to make other arrangements which I'm not sure I can even do. Can someone get back to me and give me an update?
Mand
Grafter

I'm struggling to read that, it claims it's a corrupt file.
Rapidshare etc shouldn't cause a problem. Do you get the same speeds if you reboot and get onto a different gateway? You can tell which gateway you're on here.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi esseff,
I've got it fine and it's working here. I'll pass it on to the networks team for you and let you know what we get. Things should work alright later on with the downloading though.
esseff
Grafter

Ok thanks Matt. So if downloading should be unaffected after midnight, are you saying that there was some kind of throttling being applied to my account?
rgccltd
Dabbler

Hi
I am haveing the same problems, | am on premiere option 1 and downloads are limited to about 12KB/sec I have a ticket open 33734367 with some wireshark captures, could you look at this for me also
robjodi1985
Grafter

hi essef im having same problem bro,megaupload,rapidshare,hotfile,easyshare im on extra package 60gb..have you done a speedtest to see what speed ur getting? mine shows 6.7meg download yet every file ive tried downloading i only get 13.1kbs,dont know whats happening should i raise ticket again or do you think it will sort itself out?
rob
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: robjodi1985
yet every file ive tried downloading i only get 13.1kbs

13Kbps or 13KBps?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
We've made a few tweaks to daytime management rules due to the extra traffic we anticipated with the World Cup and other sporty type things. The configuration was intended to be like the temporary changes we have on 'patch Tuesday', but we're checking to make sure nothing's gone wrong with the implementation.
For Value or Broadband Plus customers, we relaxed the limits a few weeks ago because we had some spare capacity, so if you're on these products (I know you guys who have posted in this thread so far aren't) you'll just be seeing things go back to 'normal'.