cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My download speed has been decreasing all week

Ametha

My download speed has been decreasing all week

Within the last week my internet has been getting worse. I would always get a download speed of 5Mbps, and now this has been decreasing to 1Mbps. I like watching tv shows on iplayer and 4oD, and playing online games. ^_^  Which I can't do now. I can't even stream music on itunes now without it going off and on all the time!  Sad
My download speed stays low whatever time of day or night. I tried different speed tests at different times of day and get the same result.  I tried using a different router and filter and there was no change.
I reported my problem using the broadband troubleshooter on Tuesday. I got a message saying they would keep me updated and I've not heard anything from them. So I don't know what's going on. I noticed my connection speed decreases lots while downloading, sometimes so much it just stops half way through! So I would think the same's happening when I try streaming online TV shows and games.
If you can let me know why my internet download speed has decreased, and when the fault will be fixed because now I'm unable to stream.  Cry
Here's my statistics and results asked for in your stickied speed faults thread;
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.92 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.91 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps

Router stats
Uptime: 0 days, 14:55:39
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6.912
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 31,62 / 145,66
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 42,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22,0 / 6,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 23.436
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 15
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 15 / 192
8 REPLIES 8
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: My download speed has been decreasing all week

I suspect something's killed your Plusnet Current Line Speed (login required).
If you post what it is then we can give you further advice, but I'm guessing it's going to be around 1mbps or slightly higher. You've probably had a low synch event which has caused the current line speed to drop, and then resynchronised at the usual speed, but the automatic updates haven't kicked in yet.
If your current line speed is still low, give the help desk a call and ask them to match your BT IP Profile.
Ametha

Hi Jaggies
I looked at my current line speed and it says 7.15Mbps.
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb

My download speed is still decreasing. My latest speed test said 0.68Mbps. Streaming's so horrible now my internet just gets slower and slower and then stops.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I would raise a fault. Either call them or try it on line - here.
Ametha

I raised a fault last Tuesday and not heard anything since. I'd like to know when my fault's going to be repaired.  
My connection keeps dropping today. My router internet light goes red for like a few seconds and then returns to green again. So something new. xD

Ametha

My internet's still really slow. Does anybody know if it's just me or are other people in my area getting the same problems? There's been no updates on when my internet's going to be fixed since I raised a fault last Tuesday. My download speed has dropped from 5Mbps to 1Mbps, and seems to decrease further with streaming. Sad
Streaming and gaming is impossible at the moment. Cry
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Ametha,
I think there are a number of issues here.
1. The synch speed has deteriorated - the PN profile indicates that this line was running somewhat faster than it is at present.  The current synch speed is lower than what this line is capable of.  This could be down to a number of issues, see below.
2. The BT and PN profiles are out of synch - PN systems sending data faster than the ADSL link can handle is going to lead to loss of data and therefore impact the data transfer speed as is being identified by the speed test results.
3. I suspect that the issue seen elsewhere where BT's internal profiles are misaligned might be present here.
4. The red light appearing on the router could be indicating a loss of PPP (@CRT radius graph would be useful) or the modem is faulty.
5. This could be a wifi issue.
Can you please check / clarify...
A. Is your router connected to the master socket?
B. Were the speed tests done wired or over wifi with nothing else using the Internet?
C. Are you sure no other equipment has connected to your network?
D. Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2, ideally using a corded phone.
E. Have you tried a different filter?
F. Do you have a different router you can try?
Hopefully the CRT will pick up the other points soon.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ametha

Hi Kevin
My router is connected to the master socket. It's actually the only phone socket. A new phoneline direct to my bedroom which was installed last year.
I can't talk on the phone due to illness and really only use for internet, which is my only connection to the outside world. So I rarely have a phone plugged in. I get regular visits from a support worker which helps me with everyday stuff, and 'talks' for me because I have no voice. I actually had to withdraw from university so I could try and get better again. Sad So if I require an engineer visit it has to be timed so my support worker's here. I requested in my fault ticket they email me instead of calling my cellphone. Sorry if I sound melodramatic. I get anxious and scared with strange men coming to my flat. So somebody has to be with me when they visit.
Everything is wired. Phone socket - Filter - router - computer. My computer is connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I do a lot of streaming, like watching tv shows on BBC iplayer and 4oD, and enjoy gaming too. xD I was happy with 5Mbps because I could do all I wanted to do on the internet. Now I can't Cry
The internet light going red hasn't happened again. That was like for a second and then went green again.
There's no other equipment connected to my router or internet. Just my computer via ethernet cable.

I tried a different router and filter. I keep spares just in case something like this happens. I got the same result with my internet. Just horrible download speeds. Downloading or streaming anything seems to just go slower and slower till it stops like half way through. Sometimes downloading will stop and then start again a few seconds later. it's always slow.
My latest speed tests today gave me 0.44Mbps download, 0.38Mbps upload with speedtest.net. And 0.8Mbps download, 0.37 Mbps upload with BT wholesale speed test.  Before last week my download speed has always been just over 5Mbps.

I plugged in a phone and listened for noise like you suggest. I didn't hear anything strange. Just silence. So I don't think my line is noisy.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Ametha,
I should have noticed that you are new around here and welcomed you to the forums, so WELCOME.
Sorry to learn of all your challenges; I think you communicate well and have a good "written" voice.  Many posters on here are not capable of stringing together an understandable sentence never mind a well written and structured reply as you've just done.
Given that you are wired to the router, the router is in the master socket, you've tried a different filter and router, then it think it is safe to conclude that the fault is out with your equipment.  It would be worth wile disabling the wifi if you have no need of it.  If this is the tg582n as supplied by PN, press the wifi button and hold it until the light goes out.  Otherwise use the management interface to switch it off.  This ensures that it cannot be used, saves power and processor resources.
Are you certain that nothing else is running on the PC when you do the speed tests?
This needs PlusNET to respond to the questions I asked above.
If it comes down to requiring a BTOR engineer, it might be a matter of your support worker having to plan for the appointment, rather than the other way around.  Unless there are special "social need" arrangements which can be prevailed upon, BTOR do not make appointments more granular than morning (8-1) or afternoon (1-6).
Hopefully someone from CRT will get back to this soon.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.