cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My connection speed and ADSL 2

Kurayamino

My connection speed and ADSL 2

Hi,
I was just wondering with regards to the speed up increases from 8-20mb and from what I read everything in between. I am confused over a few things. Hopefully you can help my state of confusion.
I according to the check I am/should be able to achieve speeds of 10mb (when selecting to change my product this is what the packages say) Do I have to do anything to achieve this now? Pay extra or should my package automatically be able to achieve this. If this is the case then I am only line syncing at 8134 at the moment. Secondly I had Broadband prior to this with O2. I know they're different in many "special" ways however I was able to achieve a 16-20mb speed with them. However after 2 months the ping went very weird. Over 300ms at peak. Is this achievable with plusnet? Not the high ping but the increased speeds Tongue Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon. I am currently on the pro package.
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My connection speed and ADSL 2

There's been no announcement yet for when existing users will be upgraded to ADSL 2+ - but you should get the upgrade when it comes along. Your speed should be similar to the speed you got on O2
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If I'm not mistaken, the maximum sync speed on dslMAX is 8128, you're actually (slightly) higher than this at 8134?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kurayamino

Quote from: walker23
If I'm not mistaken, the maximum sync speed on dslMAX is 8128, you're actually (slightly) higher than this at 8134?

Walker, well spotted mistake on my part. I did it from memory, with Swine Flu. That's my excuse and I'm sticking too it. It is 8128 kbps sync speed!
Jelv, thanks for the input. Hmm not what I would have expected from PN. I thought they would have moved us lot over first.....
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Were you not around during the fiasco when they did the hasty move of users across to ADSL Max? I'm glad they are taking a more measured approach this time. It appears that at the moment there are BT issues on the 21CN network - if my exchange was enabled for 21CN WBC I'm not sure I'd go for it at the moment!
I presume you have looked to see if BT have upgraded your exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php - you need to check what it says for 21CN WBC status under BT Wholesale information.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It is still early days with ADSL2 and there are still a lot of problems with it (speed issues) so PN will do this in stages, probably a few 100 at a time to reduce the support workload it may produce. There is also the issue of available bandwidth which PN need to increase in stages as more people are moved on to it.
Also not all exchanges have been upgraded for 21CN (ADSL2).
w23
Pro

Assuming your exchange is enabled for 21CN (ADSL2+), and your estimated line speed does suggest that it is, you *could* 'upgrade' from Pro to the new Pro as this is a 21CN product, the change should then take place at your next billing date.
Check on any contract length clauses though if that is a concern and make sure your router is ADSL2+ capable (or you might be able to ask for a new PlusNet router as part of the 'upgrade' if you need it, again check any contract change implications if new hardware is supplied.
I am reliably informed that the estimated speed is usually conservative but never guaranteed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kurayamino

Thanks for the replies guys. After my first mistake over sync speed I double checked the exchange and yes it is enabled as I first thought. Okay my thinking over things is different from others. I'd have thought BT especially would have tested this before going on a massive advertising spree about a new product.  How disappointing. So, please correct me if I am wrong, PN are currently rolling out something to new customers which hasn't really been fully tested by either BT or PN to a full 100%?
All of my equipment is 100% ADSL2+ ready!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It was fully tested, but now it's starting to be rolled out by many ISP's issues are emerging! Sad
w23
Pro

On a line that supports full speed on dslMax you should see a significant increase if you take the plunge and go for adsl2+.
If you have a noisy or unstable line then the dynamic line management on adsl2+ can be a bit unforgiving (shouldn't be a problem on a good line).
It's your choice but I'd probably go for it if I had a good line.  I have 48dB attenuation and have had rather mixed results on adsl2+ (much as expected)
Call me 'w23'
scootie
Grafter

where o where do we start with 21cn  Roll_eyes
Kurayamino its bein in testing with PN for a year or just over now, i joined at the start of april and the issues ive had are
BT wholesales faults
The DLM (enough said  Grin )  they came up with a not so clever idea to put a new thing called banded profiles into the DLM which come into force if the DLM thinks your line is unstable. however it seems to get to over protective ( blame health and saftey madness) and band alot of people for nothing.it ment to see stabilty and re unband you pretty quick and it has done a few times to me but the last one went on for months and months. touch wood am ok at the moment thoe
al leave it at that as just the word banding makes my blood boil now days  Angry
PN faults
for me i dont see throughput issues as am allways on one being on a 3000kbps line  Cry but there are some reports of issues with speed, the only issue ive had is latency at midnight when PN line speed everything.
there is other little issues but for me there the main ones
if you realy realy value a stable, trouble free connection 24/7, then i would hold back as jelv is doing and wait for more people to be put on 21cn from PN and other isp's and let all the faults surface and be ironed out first.
but if you want to risk it to get that high sync back you had on o2 then just remember its very hard to get back to a maxDSL connection and at most they just switch you from adsl2+ to adsl on the same equipment which means your traffic will still be going over BTw 21cn network and PN's 21cn host links
w23
Pro

Please, ASBO, do not use the 'b' word! Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'