cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband is crawling, but no way to tell if it's part of planned work !!?

FIXED
kmw350
Rising Star

Re: Current line speed much lower than max speed?

No change as of Friday morning - still running down at 2Mbps instead of my usual 9Mbps. Not sure how I will know if the proposed interleaving has kicked in or not as the banding continues to hold me down at this crawl.

Also, I'm still confused by this procedure - I've reported a fault and 'interleaving' is being switched on to try and correct it, rather than repair the actual fault, or am I misunderstanding that? I do hope I have that wrong.

PlusNet chat told me that interleaving is only temporary, but the wording of the message definitely implies that it is their way of trying to fix this.

Still hoping Sad

kmw350
Rising Star

Still stuck at 2Mb or less downstream, down from my usual 9+.

Upload is 0.25 instead of the usual 0.9+.

But I did get a call from PN yesterday, he states there is no banding on my line so is unable to explain the reason for the extremely constant 2Mb speed but was very helpful. He confirmed he could see my very slow speeds and an engineer is now coming on Monday.

kmw350
Rising Star

UPDATE Mon 17/10 7pm

Extremely disappointed to say that an engineer did NOT turn up for the appointment.

So I went on PN Chat - again they were helpful as far as they could be, but they stated that an engineer has said the fault is fixed!

IT MOST DEFINITELY IS NOT FIXED.

My current rates are as follows:

Current downstream shows 3072, way down from my usual 9000+, and despite the maximum being over 11000.

Upstream is also way below normal rates.

I've been stuck at this low speed for over a week now, and I can not believe or understand why they are saying it is fixed.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 440 3072
Max Rate(kbps) 888 11416
SNR Margin(dB) 27.3 8
Line Attenuation(dB) 20.4 33.9
Errors(pkts) 1383 32
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Fix

The stats you've posted look improvement generally compared to when we tested the line a few days ago:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 440 3072
Max Rate(kbps) 888 11416
SNR Margin(dB) 27.3 8
Line Attenuation(dB) 20.4 33.9
Errors(pkts) 1383 32

Our test from the 14th.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 446 1557

SNR Margin(dB) 13.7 7.6
Line Attenuation(dB) 20.4 67.5

As you can see the attenuation has dropped hugely, this indicates something has been fixed along the line that was causing the incorrectly inflated attenuation.

he states there is no banding on my line so is unable to explain the reason for the extremely constant 2Mb speed but was very helpful

He was wrong. Your line is still banded.

WBC 1M - 3M Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

However as the attenuation has come down, I've put a line reset through and you're now connected at over 10Mb/s, with a profile of 9Mb/s.

If you aren't seeing the higher speeds try a single disconnect/reconnect.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kmw350
Rising Star

Chris:-

WOW!

It is suddenly back at 10Mb!! Thank you, what a relief Smiley

I must say, even as a non-expert, I could tell the speed was definitely being restricted (banded) in some way, and even though I asked the question 3 times, he insisted there was no banding. And if indeed the fault was fixed by BTO intentionally, it would have been nice if they could have communicated that properly AND made sure banding was switched off - I could have been stuck at that speed for many more days if I didn't also post on this forum!

I must say the upload speed is still poor, I don't know if there's anything to be done for that? But that is not a big concern to me.

Should I add anything to the ticket right now or leave it for the time being to confirm it is stable?

Thank you again for the reset, I keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way Smiley

Chris
Legend

Leave the ticket for now, I passed it back to you so it'll stay open for 14 days for you to monitor.

I noticed the upload was low. I'll get an order placed to uncap it and it should complete tomorrow.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kmw350
Rising Star

Will do, thank you.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does the line need interleaving (the Max Rate(kbps) 888 on the upstream suggests it is on)?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend

The changes I've made have turned interleaving off too, so that shouldn't affect the sync speed when the modify order completes.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Two posts that added nothing to the thread removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kmw350
Rising Star

Update -Wed 19/10 - downstream remains back to normal speeds (9Mb) all day today, and today upstream speed has improved also,

Thank you PN