Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My TBB Ping Graph

OshB5
Grafter

My TBB Ping Graph

Hi
Could anyone take a look at my Ping Graph please and explain the highs and lows if possible that is@
One thing I did notice though Is that the times when the yellow lines are at their most is the times when we are using the laptops on wifi?
Regs Andy
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: My TBB Ping Graph

Hi Andy,
We'd not be able to explain the exact reason for each latency spike but sorry to see you're still having issues at the same.
One thing I did notice though Is that the times when the yellow lines are at their most is the times when we are using the laptops on wifi?

It's worth bearing in mind that connecting over WiFi will always tend to be slower than an ethernet connection which may in turn lead to some increased lag, do you see that happen on your TBB ping graph if you're not connected over WiFi?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am puzzled
Why should the connection of a laptop over wifi have any effect on the ping graph which is taken directly from the router
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

One reason would be that as soon as the laptop connects it starts downloading/uploading something - Windows updates or P2P software starting automatically in the background?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jelv,
I think the point which Jim is seeking to make is that the means by which the laptop connects to the router has no material impact on the lag as was being suggested by Adam's response.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
It's worth bearing in mind that connecting over WiFi will always tend to be slower than an Ethernet connection which may in turn lead to some increased lag, do you see that happen on your TBB ping graph if you're not connected over WiFi?

Some might imply from this that if I connected the same laptop to the router by Ethernet rather than WiFi I would no longer see the lag shown on this BQM graph.
(For other readers) This is simply not applicable, the BQM plot reports on the connectivity from the outside world to the router and thus how local devices connect to the router has no bearing on what is seen.  However the activity of connected devices (by whatever means) can have a marked impact on the BQM graph, as the router will give priority to the (real) traffic from / to that device over responding to BQM ping messages.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The OP hasn't said whether he connects the laptop wired or not. I'm guessing not.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jelv,
I like your style - you should be a litigator  Cheesy

Indeed Andy (the OP) did refer to the problem being present when WiFi connected...
Quote from: OshB5
... the times when the yellow lines are at their most is the times when we are using the laptops on wifi?

As you correctly note, this could imply that when (if) connected by Ethernet there are not as many yellow lines.
As ever, I am guilty of conjecture on what has been said and not looking at the possibilities surrounding what has been omitted.  Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.