Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My New Fibre - Not Happy/Not Good

knowdice
Rising Star

Re: My New Fibre - Not Happy/Not Good

Stuart,
Looking back at your original post, I'm wondering if your problems relate to relocating the master socket upstairs.
Is the new faceplate the type with the RJ11 connector at the top and BT line socket in the bottom section?
If you unplug all of your extensions except one in the master socket, do you still get the disconnect problem?
StuartUK35
Grafter

You could be right Smiley
Hence me mentioning the need for a visit due to the engineer doing half a job (i wasnt sat over him watching what he was doing)...  and the other at the cabinet or exchange side.
Its a brand new faceplate (engineer didnt know difference between RJ11 & RJ45) with RJ11 and standard telco plug.
I get disconnects regardless of whether a phone line is plugged in (only 1 phone used).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StuartUK35,
I've asked someone to take a look at this for you.
Jojo Smiley
StuartUK35
Grafter

Just had the txt to say engineer booked, thank you Smiley
Lets hope the engineer does his homework before hand and checks his bits at the local exch, then at the new cab, then at my house.
Otherwise, your gonna be reading on the news BT Guy held hostage while end users broadband is fixed/installed correctly.  Grin  Cheesy  Tongue  Shocked
seanjudge
Dabbler

Hi Stuart, I am glad to hear you got my text confirming the engineer is booked for you.
Unfortunately the engineer will be visiting your property first and tracing the issue backwards in this case as no testing identified a definitive external problem.
These issues can often also be internal issues with filtering not within your control on Fibre lines as BT will support up until your modem.
We will contact you once we have the report from the engineer and contact you to confirm if the fault is resolved.
I hope this helps.
Sean  Smiley
StuartUK35
Grafter

when i pick up the phone and see the DSL light on the BT modem still on will confirm the fault is fixed Smiley
When i get 0% Packet Loss when pinging Any device outside my house will confirm fixed...
When i run a constant ping to Any device outside my house, and i dont get 'timed out' will confirm problem is fixed Smiley
I have a block terminal in the garage, then cable goes into the wall, and then comes out in the hallway where the NTE5 master socket is..... (technically was...)
The BT guy wired in a new NTE5/ADSL faceplate onto an extension point upstairs in my office.....
Question is:  Should he have ?  As i wasnt looking, i dont know if he tinkered with the existing/was master socket in the hallway before wiring upstairs... (or by-passing the data extension kit as its called)...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sure the engineer will be able to check all these things out for you on Friday.
StuartUK35
Grafter

BT guy came to the house....
said the original who came on the 15th was a monkey who didnt have a clue....
I have a 'star' wiring setup in the house, so the way it was configured, the signals would bounce all over the house before reaching the 'new master socket'...  although in essence, there wasnt a master socket defined......
BT guy done his stuff, now got it so the wiring is done properly (extension kit, etc, whatever u want to call it).
Tested my phone, the DSL light doesnt go off on the Fibre Modem now when i answer the phone.........  Smiley Smiley
But......
before he went to leave, i did my tests....  ping UK servers by DNS and IP........  get response....
make a phonecall, BANG! 'Timed out' !  same issue as before.  So no broadband if phone is used......
BT Guy says is dumbfounded, as not come across somthing like this, given its all new copper outside, etc etc (new area).....  he rang another guy somewhere who said he aint come across this issue either.....
so he said he would pass the 'job' back to BT Wholesale...
So where are we at, at present ?
ME: End customer = not receivin the service i signed up and will be billed for.
BT - Will go from pillar to post to PN, back to BT, from pillar to post, to PN, then back to BT..........  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Should prove an interesting case this one...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, sorry to hear that. I've just passed the fault back and it's come back immediately requesting another engineer visit Undecided
Would you be able to advise of more dates you might be available? Really sorry for the inconvenience.
seanjudge
Dabbler

Hi Stuart, I am sorry to hear the fault is ongoing and unresolved and I have escalated this with BT Wholesale for you today due to this and a manager will be reviewing your case.
As Matt has correctly said above another engineer will be required unfortunately to have another look.  Angry
Can you let us know some more times you can be in and we will try to get it booked for you straight away.
I have also updated your ticket !  Cheesy
Hope to hear from you soon, Sean  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=StuartUK35]Can we have a Brickwall icon for the forum please.

or         
Is this what you meant ?
StuartUK35
Grafter

haha, loving the brickwall icon!!!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley  Tongue
PN:  Have asked for the ticket to be closed.
Friday afternoon i went on a mini holiday and got back last night.... Did my usual checks, etc etc, and basically everything works Smiley Smiley
I can even play COD MW2 and not have pings of 300+ , got no drop-outs, etc etc.......  (and i did say before, PN will get the flack for BT's faults, although i know PN are not to blame)
So yeah, on the BT side of things, problem is resolved, here's what the issue was:
My House (8yr old)
Has Block terminal in garage, then goes into master socket in hallway.  There are a further 3 extensions off the master (Star wiring as its called)
When i made the FTTC order, i included the 'Data extension kit' ..  When the BT guy arrived on site, i said i want the extension kit upstairs in my office where there is an existing socket....
BT guy said its easier for him to fit the NTE5/DSL faceplate upstairs and make that the master......  DONE......... Smiley
Fault?
BT Guy was a contractor who fits faceplates only, and doesn't understand wiring.   So you can see the fault created by the guy without me having to explain it.....
The last fault which now seems to be resolved, was either at the 'CAB' or at the local exchange, my guess it would have been the Cab.....  either way, all good Smiley
So as for my fibre:  Yeah, its working Smiley   I am on the 40gb package, i get a 33mb pipe which is capped at 2mb  Crazy  Crazy and upload is average 1.6mb
However, after midnight, the 33mb pipe becomes a 33mb pipe, up until like 7:30am Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Happy days!!
Moving to the 'Extra package' as from the 15th, so i think my 33mb connection will be running at 5mb?  its a pain, but am OK with it Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

I thought you added PRO ? in which case your 33mb should be 33mb throughout the day.
is pro still active? or do you need the extra usage rather than the line speed?
Here you can see the difference in the traffic management profiles of the two fiber products side-by-side.
Regards
StuartUK35
Grafter

I did apply for the PRO addon,
but on the day i made the 2nd call to open a ticket for a failed install, i explained to the guy that given i cannot see the benefits of the PRO addon, it needs to be removed.  Given my line was up and down all the time, and even more so when the phone rang, along with speeds down to 6mb on some occasions, average being 23mb, etc, this would show that i am not receiving the PRO addon package, let alone the Fibre product/service.
So the guy removed it when i rang, so come my billing date on the 15th of this month, i will be charged £21.49 (month in advance), and the reason for it being £21.49 is because i have asked to be moved to the 'EXTRA' FTTC package.
Now baring in mind, i paid the £16.49 for the 40gb cost up front, that being £16.49 for a months usage.  However, 2 weeks worth has been intermittent, and i have not received the 'service' as described, or as advertised.  Yes i have read the T&C for PN, and yes i know the terms of the 'Goods & Services Act 82' very well too...  Not fussed however at present.
If my bill shows £26.49 on the 15th (which would imply £5 PRO addon for 15th Sep-15th Oct) and £21.49 for FTTC - 15th Oct-15th Nov, then i will be upset  Cool
As far as i understand it, the 'EXTRA' package is shaped to say 5mb or less, but running line speed between midnight and 7:30am with a 120gb down/up usage.    Thats the terms, so i am happy with that....
and i dont need more data, as the FTTC is used for the wife watching Eastenders or Celebrity Juice on the PS3 (Streaming), and for me to do online gaming.... downloads are done after midnight.  i need a fast connection, so moving to the Extra Fibre package so i can get a 5mb connection as opposed to 2mb Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

erm, im confused...
1) where are you getting your "2 meg" connection from.. like what tests are you doing which show 2meg.
2) Off-peak is between midnight and 8am, although the first hour you still have *some* shaping.
3) You wont get anything off, wether its working or not PN still has the same costs to the supplier wether your using bandwidth or not.
4) for Pro - you'll be charged pro-rata for the addon (e.g. x pence per day it was active)
5) Shaping on Value + Pro are pretty similar in terms of web, and other protocols are a "notch up" (e.g. still restricted but restricted to a higher speed.)
n.b. its worth noting that SPEED is not everything - for example 2mbit for Gaming is *ample* as that allows 200KB/s to be downloaded constantly for a game... Which wont happen as most games wouldnt even manage to use 100KB/s!
Just because its listed as 'shaped' doesnt mean that it will be detremental to your experience.
6) in terms of streaming 5mbit is (i believe, based on the requirements for the iplayer which is around 3.2mbps for HD) more than ample for a HQ iPlayer stream.
Regards