cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Network Name

johni

My Network Name

Why does my PC Ethernet connection show public network: BTHub3-93N3 2

And my Router show Wi_Fi network PLUSNET-8GM8XC?

John I

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: My Network Name

Hi John,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Interesting question!!  Which router PN Hub One (which implies a fibre service)?

Plusnet routers are unfortunately rebadged BT Hubs at least one generation behind those current distributed by BT Retail (rather looks like big brother's last year's unsold stock hand-me-downs).  I would suspect that although the WiFi SSIDs have been branded Plusnet the internal router name still bears its native BT branding.

As for "Public Network" that is only to do with how your PC considers the network ... not how it actually is.  Whilst your PC treats the network as being public, you might find connecting to other devices on the network difficult - certainly you will not be able to connect to any file shares or media servers on your PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: My Network Name

Are you using Powerline adapters? If you are, my money is on you inadvertently connecting to somebody elses router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵