cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IP profile is less than my download speed?????

sinewave
Grafter

My IP profile is less than my download speed?????

Ok explain this...
I've just done a BTspeedtest and this is what it says....

-----------------------
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5282 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6586 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.45:22.13:63.42 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
--------------------
How can my IP profile be 2500Kbps when I am happily getting download speeds of 5000kbps?

I did the test to see why I couldn't get more than 5000kps when my sync speed is 6586, and my PN profile is 5500. I am somewaht surprised to see the BT profile at 2500!
cheers
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My IP profile is less than my download speed?????

A line check has shown your profile to be at 5500 at the moment. Does the speed test report the same as it did, or has it updated now? My guess as things stand is you ran the test while the system was updating, but we'll see if it's updated now or not.
Grafter

Had something similar this morning. BT tester reported profile at 5500k with sync ~13900k. It and other speedtest sites produced download speeds of 11300k. Think the BT profile reporting must have thrown a wobbly.
sinewave
Grafter

Its back to 5500k now.
I think 32110 had this right - its just a BT "thing". I've not experienced any slow downs or anything that could be connected to such a low IP profile, so I guess it was a mistake.
One thing that still mystifies me is that my BT speed test is always >5000kbps: today it was 5427kbps, and yet I never see these speeds when downloading or doing other types of speed test. I typically get a shade under 5000kbps. Another vagary that is t'internet? To be clear, I'm not that bothered about this - just curious.