cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IP address doesn't change upon disconnect/reconnect anymore.

Azagoth
Grafter

My IP address doesn't change upon disconnect/reconnect anymore.

I'm supposed to have a dynamic IP, yet not matter the amount of times I drop the internet connection to switch it it never changes, the IP address upon reconnect is always the same one.  I don't do a full router reboot, I just drop the internet connection and then reconnect.  This HAS ALWAYS worked in the past.   What's changed?

I want my dynamic IP back!

20 REPLIES 20
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: My IP address doesn't change upon disconnect/reconnect anymore.

I am guessing you have moved to the new network, where it seems disconnects don't always give you a new IP.

Azagoth
Grafter

Not to my knowledge.  I haven't requested a move to a 'new network', whatever the hell that is, and neither have I been informed of such a move being made.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you wouldn't be - this may give an indication http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Azagoth
Grafter

That shows me as on:-

Which gateway

You are currently connected to gateway psb-ir01.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

So could this be the cause of my other problem?  Websites that up until recently opened nigh on instantly are now taking an age to open.  Some don't even open at all anymore.    If that's the case then I want to go back to the network I was on before.  I didn't ask for this change and I wasn't notified of any change.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is certainly the new network

The change is because Plusnet are changing how they connect to the BT network

This explains http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/uk-isp-plusnet-quietly-swaps-to-a-dedicated-wbmc-networ...

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You might want to do a search for more details, but yes it appears you are on the new network.

I doubt you can request going back, but a more detailed description of your issues might come up with suggestions to improve them.

Azagoth
Grafter

More detailed description?  Websites that used to load in less than a second now take ages to load/  It isn't any specific sites either, it appears random.  Example, one minute bbc.co.uk will load instantly, then if I go to check something a bit later it can take nearly 30s to load.  It's like that with random websites, one minute they load just fine and a few minutes later they're hanging.

Also, on Youtube.com videos now take longer to load than their actual running time.  I used to be able to load the page and watch the video just fine as it streamed, now if I do that it's just constantly stopping with the buffering circle.  Now I have to let them fully load and then play them, earlier watched a 2 minute EVE Online video, that took five minutes to load.

oddbodd
Hooked

I'm having the same problem of seemingly having had a static IP address assigned today.

I also appear to be on the new network...

You are currently connected to gateway pcn-ir01.

This is located in Colindale Point of Presence.

I've only just started seeing IP addresses in the range... 51.6.81.xxx in the last few days. A couple of times I've been assigned the same IP, but today it will not change, despite disconnecting/connecting numerous times.

I'm loathe to reboot the router at the moment, as it'll take weeks for the IP profile to sort itself out again.

I too, would like my dynamic IP back!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

This sounds more like a DNS issue, nothing to do with your IP address. Have a look, there appear to be a few people with DNS issues over that last couple of days.

oddbodd
Hooked

Slow loading pages could be a DNS problem, but that's not my issue.

The problem I'm having, is that the server assigned dynamic IP address now seems to be a fixed address.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@oddbodd- and others - just out of curiosity - why do you need your IP to change? Unless your assigned IP is causing problems, I don't quite see the need to change, or am I missing something?

John
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@oddbodd @Azagoth

The new network changes the way that IP addresses are assigned.

In the past, the dynamic IP addresses were issued from the data centres where the gateways are located so there was a large range of IP addresses available.

On the new network, the IP address is issued at the exchange so there is a small number of IP addresses available. This is why the IP address is unlikely to change if you just do a reboot or a quick disconnect/connect. As you just get the last address that was freed up, your old one Sad Some people find that disconnecting and waiting a few hours before connecting again gives a different IP but nothing is guaranteed. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
oddbodd
Hooked

Thanks for the info.

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How can you tell if you're on the new network? - Mine says:

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-bng03.

This is located in City Lifeline House.

----

Anyone know what the old one would have said?