cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FTTC connection appears to have nearly halved in speed in both directions

lotrjw
Grafter

My FTTC connection appears to have nearly halved in speed in both directions

My FTTC speed is slower than it has been in recent weeks and I havent had any disconnects for the last week? the BT wholesale speed tester always reports very low speeds (when it works as sometimes it doesnt) and other speed testers are ranging from 30Mbps to 40Mbps down and about 10 up, I normally get about 55Mbps to 65Mbps down and 18.2Mbps to 18.5Mbps up.
9 REPLIES 9
lotrjw
Grafter

Re: My FTTC connection appears to have nearly halved in speed in both directions

My speed apears to be back to what it normally is by think broadband and speedtest.net speedcheckers, but I still dont get why it dropped so much this evening?
The BT wholesale checker is still reporting lower speeds than other sites!
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: My FTTC connection appears to have nearly halved in speed in both directions

Not sure but this may have something to do with it, or it may be just a co-incidence and unconnected, but that graph and a couple others aren't looking good, and IMO that graph clearly shows congestion  as to where that is ,well plusnet should be in a better position to know  more about  it,
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine is one of those graphs affected, on pcl-ag01 if that's relevant.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lotrjw
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
...that graph and a couple others aren't looking good, and IMO that graph clearly shows congestion  as to where that is ,well plusnet should be in a better position to know  more about  it...

Well after that is when I got a good rise in speed back to normal so I guess I must have been effected, I wonder if there was a fault causing that?
lotrjw
Grafter

Something I dont get after doing speed tests with think broadband, speedtest.net and BT Wholesale theses are the results:

Hopefully people can see the BT Wholesale pic, I couldnt do a screenshot for some reason so I did the next best thing. Anyways as can be seen there is a big difference between the first two tests and the BT test! can anyone explain the big differences?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See also http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115770.msg1027118.html#msg1027118
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the number of people trying to access the test server will have a massive impact on its ability to provide accurate data.
for reference I get the reverse effect most times between btw tester and the okala(speedtest.net) ones
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
lotrjw
Grafter

its looking better from the BTW tester now: but its still not showing the speeds that other testers are showing!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I believe that the BT tester uses multi-threaded HTTP and that seems to compare rather closely with your TBB 'HTTP x6' test results.
Most people get as good (or better) with HTTP x 6 than with the TBB custom (green line on graph) but I have discovered that the HTTP x6 and BT results can be much more readily influenced by processor speed / loading and antivirus/firewall.  Just a thought.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.