Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FTTC 80Mbps Profile is still decreasing - It is now <30Mbps

daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: My FTTC 80Mbps Profile is still decreasing - It is now <30Mbps

Maybe I spoke too soon  Cry
Just after it started to rain I lost all internet connection and my User name was being rejected by the server Huh
Then about 30mins after it stopped raining I suddenly found I was connected again, but according to the BT Speed Test my Max Achievable Speed is now only 33.59 Mbps and I am downloading at 31.99Mbps.
WWWombat
Grafter

How long did the outage last? The TBB ping graph recovers at 18:30 - significantly later than you posted!
The good news is that massive drop in latency, and the fact it stayed like that after the outage. The bad news is the outage itself - but we don't know if that was limited to your line, or the whole cabinet. Middling news is the drop in the "max achievable" speed - we'll have to watch that. Reasonably good news is that, even with interleaving off and pretty low latency, there are very few lost packets: Just a touch more red than this morning, but not a very significant volume.
Strange though - about how your actual download speed has increased, even if your max achievable speed has dropped. What does this page say: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed?
And don't forget to include tomorrow's (today's) new TBB graph, and the one after (when we get there). It will be interesting to see the DLM responses.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Or perhaps your outage was caused by this:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108054.msg0.html#new
Also see here: http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=archive
and the posts at 12:43 and 16:45.
Plusnet Customer
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Hi, The 2nd outage was actually only about 30mins, PN asked mw to connect my PC directly to the BT modem after it started rejecting my user name.
So when it finally connected directly I left it there for a couple more hours to check its stability before reconnecting my router which is when the red finally dissapears.
My PN profile has only  increased from 32.4 to Current line speed: 33.4 Mb Sad
I've just done another BT speed test and now my Max Achievable Speed and IP is back up to 39.49 Mbps Smiley
But my actual download speed was 30.79Mbps Sad
The 6am glitch must be where my profile was reset, but I think the reason I can't download any faster is now just the PN profile which has only gone up 1Mbps probably because yesterday that was also my IP profile Sad
Speedtest.net results slightly better only 9ms ping and 31.41Mbps and appears to bouncing off the end stop.

Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Dave

I've just done another BT speed test and now my Max Achievable Speed and IP is back up to 39.49 Mbps Smiley
But my actual download speed was 30.79Mbps Sad

As IP Profile is 96.79% of sync speed, that works out to a sync speed of approximately 40.8Mb, only just above the 40Mb threshold, but definitely into the "up to" 80Mb band.
The limiting factor would now appear to be the Plusnet line speed profile.
Your absolute MAXIMUM throughput on a speedtest.net test should now probably be around 38.3Mb (97% of IP Profile - subject to no contention etc.).
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Hi yes, when I first went on o 80/20 I was getting 44Mbps for a few days, but it then dropped back to around 39Mbps where it stayed for about 4 weeks, but then it started dropping about 1Mbps every 4 weeks at a weekend until the end of August when it just went through the floor and only came back up to a 29Mbps IP profile.
Hopefully once PN adjust their setting up to 40Mbps all should be fine.
I don't think the outages in London yesterday had anything to do with me and PN never mentioned it when I phoned them, he could see me trying to connect, but for some unkown reason the server was rejecting my user name Huh
UPDATE - PN have just increased their rating to 40Mbps, BT Test report 39.49 IP but only 30.48Mbps download and I still seem to be hitting an end stop at 31.41Mbps on Speedtest.net Huh
WWWombat
Grafter

Only once both BT and PN have their profiles correct is it time to dig out the speedtester results - so you look to have hit that point now.
However, I've not gained confidence that *all* the provincial speedtest.net servers can cope with the speeds. Therefore, if I hit a low speed, I try some other servers. I found that the London servers were usually OK, but not always, while the Newbury one (from Vodafone) was my most reliable.
Can you try varying the server too?
I've not found the BT speedtester helpful at identifying the very top-end performance. It almost always is a notch down, and the hour delay means you cannot do a batch to check for average behaviour. In the end, I tend to use it merely to discover the IP profile.
As for your line...
The fact that the PN profile changed is a sign of *something*. That it changed to 33.4 is maybe a sign that, during the outage, your modem *also* resync'ed as well as your router attempting to sign-in. Or perhaps, in your investigations, you rebooted the modem a few times too? Either way, the 6AM resync back to a higher speed is a reasonably good sign - it certainly looks like DLM chose to do that, and with little change to the basic latency.
There are still a few red splodges on the graph (compared with some of the graphs over here) - but I don't think it is enough to trigger DLM. The current latency looks beautifully low too.
The line is probably now best left stable until at least the 48 hour mark, to see what happens.
Plusnet Customer
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Dave

UPDATE - PN have just increased their rating to 40Mbps, BT Test report 39.49 IP but only 30.48Mbps download and I still seem to be hitting an end stop at 31.41Mbps on Speedtest.net Huh

I believe Plusnet have had a number of issues with FTTC line profiles.
Initially they used 37Mb for the 40Mb service & had to put a number of users on the 20Mb profile (actually meaning unlimitted) for the 80Mb service.
They may well have needed to apply the 20Mb profile for some 40Mb service users.
My connection simply cannot max out the 40Mb service due to distance to the cabinet of almost 1000m.
We did experiment with the 80/20 service which made no difference whatsoever as I was already on the up to 10Mb upstream as an experiment & my connection can only achieve around 5Mb upstream.
At that time my Plusnet profile was adjusted from a fixed 37Mb to a fixed 20Mb.
I'm not sure if they ever resolved that fully for users on & around 40Mb sync speeds & lower.
FWIW, The member Centre is still reporting 20Mb for my current line speed & my throughput is always what should be expected for my DS sync speed & IP profile.
I therefore have to assume my Plusnet profile is manually "fixed" as it has NEVER varied via BT's delta reporting.
I wonder if Plusnet adjusting their profile to 40Mb for your connection caused a new PPP session to be initiated in order to use it.
If not, disconnecting/reconnecting the ROUTER to manually force a new PPP session should not cause DLM to throw a wobbler (it is only frequently resyncing the whole connection that does that).
That assumes you are not still connected directly to the MODEM.
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Well I have left it a couple of hours and I still seem to be maxing out at 31.45Mbps on Speedtest.net, I tend to use Coventry as I always seem to get a fast connection, even though it is much further away than London, being 25miles SE of London.

My BT Profile is still showing as 39.49Mbps, but I notice a slight amount of red packet loss now
daveg6hni
Rising Star

What a dirrence a day Makes  Smiley
Now able to download at 37Mbps again - yipee

Looks like two resets this AM

Many Thanks to all that left comments.
Dave.
WWWombat
Grafter

And interestingly, one of the resets seems to have altered the latency a very tiny amount. Probably not enough to signify a change to interleaving though.
More worryingly is the extra red starting to creep in since you posted, over lunchtime especially. Any weather changes going on?
Plusnet Customer
daveg6hni
Rising Star

I hadn't spotted that slight increase so I have just done a Ping Test just to check

I do, however, seem to be getting an very small increase in packet loss, at what % will it cause a change ?
WWWombat
Grafter

You might be the guinea pig at helping to identify that.
Mine changed when I was getting a fairly consistent failure at 4% or so. You're not that high, nor that consistent... yet.
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Attached 2 graphs, showing my packet loss when fibre was first installed, and the change when DLM kicked in 48 hours later.
Plusnet Customer
daveg6hni
Rising Star

It would appear that DLM has kicked in on my line this morning...

The packet loss only once appeared to go above 5% for one pixel, the rest of the time it was only 1% or 2% and virtually zero for the 6 hours before the change ?.
Also it does not seem to coincide with my usage, so I again suspect my line is being affected externally Huh
Could it be this Crosstalk that I've seen other people talk about, i.e. other Broadband users interfering with my connection by using theirs at the same time Huh
That might also explain why one weekend in four I have a dramatic drop, i.e. someone visiting a neighbough and using broadband only once a month is causing my problems Huh