cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Connection isn't VOIP friendly

judge

My Connection isn't VOIP friendly

I'm a PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 customer experiencing the following connection speeds:
Download speed:  1470 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed: 123 Kbps (socket test)
I use Skype and need to use it more now than ever before and I don't mean text chat but voice.
My service changed when my account was switched to a LLU derived service, in doing so I gained an increased download speed, but a reduced download speed.
Question is what can be done here other than clear off and get a cable supplied service installed (equipment already installed from previous customer, just needs activation).
Any ideas anyone?
Will Plusnet or BT investigate why my upload speed is so low?
I need a reliable connection not an uber fast one.
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: My Connection isn't VOIP friendly

Hi there,
I can see that you raised a fault back in July.  would you be able to raise one regarding your speed via http://faults.plus.net?
That way we will be able to get detailed diagnostics on your line and may be able to see what the cause of the problem is.
I'd also try doing the usual master socket and filter checks to see if this improves the situation.
Let me know how you get on Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It looks as though your line has been set on a lower profile in order to keep it stable. I'll make a couple of tweaks from here to try to squeeze out some better performance. Can you reboot your modem/router and try a speed test again please.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
judge

Well, well, well...

Downstream    2304
Upstream        256

Noise margin (dB)
21.4 24.0

Output power (dBm)
18.6 11.6

Attenuation (dB)
53.0 31.0
How we doing there? Speed is up on both - is there are cost to this? Line reliability?
On the other matter I replaced all filters a month ago with new ones and my router plugs directly into the BT master socket not another secondary socket on the phone system.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As you are on the LLU service we have quite a lot of control over the different line profile, so if you find this one is too intermittent we can lower it again. On the other hand if you find it to be stable we can always try pushing it up a bit higher for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
judge

Cripes!
What a response, that'll teach me for setting a low expectation!!  Grin
Well I didn't fancy the upheaval of moving so looks like you get to keep me as a customer and I get to keep my referrals!!
Do you still require a ticket to be raised on this?
James
Grafter

Not if it keeps behaving Smiley
judge

OK I'll be keeping a careful watch on things and you'll know if I hit the rocks  Wink
Thank you James, thank you Chris
I am one very impressed customer!!
LiamM
Grafter

I was going to say... my connection is VERY VoIP friendly.... So much so that we run our entire PBX phone system over VoIP.  The system is hosted in Telehouse and we have all our office extensions continually connected via our PlusNet ADSL line as well as some from my house and softphones for roaming / mobile working. 
We can have upto 6 or 7 concurrent calls on the single ADSL line without any problems whatsoever - and very good quality.
Prior to this my only experience of VoIP was PlusNet's Broadband Phone - so I went in with very low expectations - but I love the system now.  VoIP is great.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Liam - what PABX do you use? I have a client who is looking to do something similar.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
LiamM
Grafter

This company :
http://www.telappliant.com/view/ippbx
The system seems to work very well and the control panel gives you a lot of control over IVRs / Queues etc..  There have been a few niggling problems and a couple of short outages but response has been positive.
I've got 0845s, Geographic DDIs and Dublin numbers all coming through to my system.
Before you make any decisions, give Kris Neale a call or send him an email (PM me for his contact details).  He is excellent.  Spent a long time dealing with me at all hours as I was nervous about taking the plunge into VoIP.  I couldn't wish for a better account manager and I'll put you guys in touch quite happily!