cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My COPPER Broadband went Fibre for a short period !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW !!

This is after a mega download of 6GB this morning, I have noticed before after a large download my speed shoots up for a period, for some reason
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: My COPPER Broadband went Fibre for a short period !!!

just means you have a dodgy speed test.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bubble burst !!   Smiley Smiley
Can't complain about the 19+mb/s I've had for quite a while now...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: PlusComUK
I have noticed before after a large download my speed shoots up for a period, for some reason

How does it know you're going to do a large download?  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have noticed before after a large download my speed shoots up for a period, for some reason

I had to read that twice but if you substitute "previously that" for "before" it reads a little better whilst conveying the meaning that I'm sure PlusComUK intended
w23
Pro

Ah yes, just read it again (twice).  Doh!  Embarrassed Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Try installing an old copy of Kaspersky Internet Security and run the test. Wink
I used to be in that situation and had crazy results.
Happily the latest version doesn't exhibit the problem...for me anyway.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion, but it was a known (to me) occasional glitch.
The thread was a bit t.i.c. TBH   Wink

This is after a mega download of 6GB this morning, I have noticed previously after a large download my speed shoots up for a period, for some reason
w23
Pro

There was nothing wrong with your previous wording, just me imagining and 'and' between 'before' and 'after' (very slight dyslexia?, tiredness?, lazyness? - who knows) but the revised wording is clearer - thanks.
I'm sure there'd be some technical way of creating a large receive buffer connected to your router to receive an entire download then pass it to your computer on completion which might fool some speed tests into seeing phenomenal speeds.
I remember various 'internet boost' programs being sold back in dial-up days promising to double your download speed - no idea how these ever worked.
Call me 'w23'
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: w23
I remember various 'internet boost' programs being sold back in dial-up days promising to double your download speed - no idea how these ever worked.

All they basically did was compress the images more before sending it down the line. The same thing happens with the Opera Mini web browser today.
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I had Orange Mobile Broadband, I could choose the image compression on websites to download, presumably for speed and lower usage.