cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband speed has dropped again

katie
Grafter

My Broadband speed has dropped again

Sorry to bother you good people again but I need some advice again. Last April, my speed dropped dramatically & I couldn't get my netplugs to work the iplayer even on low quality.
You helped us to sort it by removing 2 of my extensions and only having one directly wired into the BT box up to my office. The speed dropped a bit but not to much & all has been well until Wednesday when I stupidly bought a replacement modem router. I did have a Netgear dgn 2000 which was working oK, but the on/off button wasn't working & I was keeping it awitched on with the use of a toothpick  - just to keep the button in. I was quite happy with Netgear so my replacement was another NETGEAR -  DGN2200 Wireless Modem Router.
I switched off my old router then went through the process of installing the new one - unsuccessfully. After 3 hours, I gave up and eventually got the old router back online again only to find that when I went to download something, it was incredibly slow and while the download was going, I couldn't open web pages. That was on my laptop which works wirelessly. I tried the same download on my desktop which is connected to the router via an RJ45 cable. The speed was no better. I did a fault finder with Plusnet but they haven't got back to me apart from sying they would run some tests on the line.
This is the results of a BT line check in February -
20/2/2011 Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 3904 Kbps 0 Kbps 7150 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3904 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)   IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps
This is from this Morning 13/5
Download  Speed 276 Kbps 0 Kbps 2000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed   Download speedachieved during the test was - 276 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4480 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
They were both from the BT socket - not the test socket.
As you can see, there is a vast difference in the download speed and the IP Profile.
This is the result of the Plusnet speed test -

This is from the same laptop but it is from the router which is back in the office on the only extension into the BT socket. I also have a BT iplate on the bT box. Whatever I do, the speed test result is the same whether it is from the RJ45 into the desktop or the wireless laptop or plugged into the master socket.
I cannot try the back of the BT socket at the moment as I'm expecting visitors & don't want them tripping up.
Another problem I had, is that the new router managed to set up an extra three wireless networks in my attempt to get it working  Roll_eyes I can't find out how to get rid of them - Windows 7. Believe me - I have tried to sort this problem out but it's driving me crazy - any help or suggestions are welcome please.
Katie  Huh
PS - I have just been able to plug the router back into the back of the BT socket. The BT speed test won't start but this is from my router -
System Up Time 00:15:20
Port Status TxPkts               RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN       PPPoA               1753         1835 0 2564 5497 00:03:53
LAN       10M/100M       2988         2822 0 1131 707  00:15:16
WLAN       11M/54M/270M      7415      6701 0 4202 2285 00:14:47
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4512 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 27.0 db
Noise Margin 13.7 db 18.0 db
Plusnet speed test
[url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][/url

27 REPLIES 27
tel1749
Dabbler

Re: My Broadband speed has dropped again

Hi kate
I too am getting very frustrated at the speed or rather lack of it, the other day it dropped from around 700kb to 350kb then it came back again in the early hours of this morning, now i just checked it again my speed is going down the pan very fast as a massive 234kb i may just as well use dial up it's that frustrating .
how dare they offer me a package that may go up to 8megs or fiber optic up to 40 megs.
Tel1749 Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
@katie - it looks like a fairly bad dropping connection fault is present on your line. I'd definitely recommend testing the connection from the test socket to see if that still happens as from what you've said having the router in an extension socket reduces the speed - it might be that whatever wiring issue was causing the slower speeds has got worse and is now affecting the connection.
@tel - Can't see many drops on your line but that's probably because the profile has dropped to 250kb/s to keep it stable. I'd recommend the same to be honest, test the connection with the router in the master socket with everything else removed from the line and see if anything improves there. If not then raise us a fault at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get it investigated for you.
katie
Grafter

Hi Matt - Thank You for your reply.
The laptp is connected to the master socket in the back of the BT plate and the accelerator removed. I am using a new slitter which I know is OK.
I just did a BT test
FAQ
Results Image not loaded
This Test comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 345 Kbps 0 Kbps 7150 KbpsMax Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 345 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3872 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)  IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these result
Plusnet speed test -

Router -
Port Status TxPkts                RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN        PPPoA                7512 7814 0 638   1714 00:50:00
LAN        10M/100M        8564 4866 0 1275 362               00:57:03
WLAN        11M/54M/270M 9698 8767 0 1247 686       00:45:07
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3872 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.0 db 27.5 db
Noise Margin 15.4 db 18.0 db
I hope this all helps. I have gone on with the BT suggestion for the time being.
Katie Smiley
dick:green Link fixed.
katie
Grafter

I tried to go on to the next test with BT but their instructions don't allow for Windows7.  I ended up on a BT webpage & had to re-start my PC & router  Roll_eyes
I did another BT speed test -
FAQ
Results Image not loaded
This Test comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 296 Kbps  0 Kbps 7150 Kbps  Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 296 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3872 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
Katie
katie
Grafter

I cannot go any further with the BT speed test; I log them onto the router OK but the test just comes back with Test Error. However, I just did a Plusnet speed test & something has happened - the speed has gone up from the med 300's to the mid 2300's.

I will try the last BT test first thing tomorrow & see if it's not so busy then. Anyone think that there is further room for improvement.
Katie Smiley
katie
Grafter

This was my BT test this morning at about 7.15am -
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 2249 Kbps 0 Kbps 7150 KbpsMax Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2249 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4192 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
Is there still room for improvement please. ?  What does 7150 KbpsMax Achievable Speed mean ?Huh
Should I leave the router in the BT Master plug for now ?
Thanks for any help.
Katie  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you post the current router stats please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
katie
Grafter

OK-
System Up Time 06:04:44
Port Status TxPkts                 RxPkts       Collisions        Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN         PPPoA                 1914853  2830190 0 4940 186303 06:03:08
LAN         10M/100M         772638    518668 0 49613 1893 06:04:40
WLAN         11M/54M/270M 2110317  1427804 0 138758 4718 06:04:14
ADSL Link         Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3968 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.0 db    27.5 db
Noise Margin         15.5 db    17.0 db
Katie
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Several things:
1. From the system up time I can see that you must be turning your router overnight. It is far, far better if you leave your router on 24x7. The BT systems are more likely to think your connection is stable if it sees a continuous connection.
2. Because of instability the BT systems have set your target noise margin right up to 15db which will be considerably reducing your sync speed.
3. If Plusnet can see a long stable connection they can be persuaded to reset your line which will give you back the higher sync speed.
katie
Grafter

Thanks for that info jelv. The router is usually switched on 24/7. I did have it off for 4 weeks in March/April when I was on holiday but otherwise it was only off this week when I changed the router on Wednesday ( I think it was). I couldn't get the new router to go wireless and I was switching between routers for a doy or so until I raised a fault & left my old router switched on. The router was still on when I went to bed last night and was still on this morning although the wireless signal was off. I will try & leave it switched on now as I have got it all fixed up in the front porch for now.
Do BT reduce the target noise margin automatically when the router has settled, or would I need to ask them?
Will Plusnet  reset my line and give me the higher sync speed automatically, or do I have to ask them ?
Thank You so much for your info - it does explain a lot.
Katie
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's not good - the router is showing an up time of just over 6 hours which would imply the router rebooted around 7am.
BT do reduce the target if the line remains stable - but that takes a few weeks. That's why you may need to ask Plusnet to reset the line when it appears stable. I'd recommend aiming for 48 hours LAN uptime.
katie
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
That's not good - the router is showing an up time of just over 6 hours which would imply the router rebooted around 7am.
BT do reduce the target if the line remains stable - but that takes a few weeks. That's why you may need to ask Plusnet to reset the line when it appears stable. I'd recommend aiming for 48 hours LAN uptime.

Thanks again Jelv.
I must have done the reboot when I was trying to get the connection on line this morning.  Embarrassed
I will just leave everything alone now & get in touch with Plusnet in a few days time.
Thanks again for the help - it is very much appreciated.
Katie
tel1749
Dabbler

Hi Matt
I have done as suggested, in fact i had done that a number of times!  unpluged the phone, & the i block, changed my filter, switched off the modem for a while to sort it self out.
After switching on the modem rebooted the computer & did a other speed check still running very slow.that was quite late yesterday evening.
In the early hours of this morning i did a other speed testing again running very slow.
A few moments back i did the same test the phone is back in circuit, but left the i block off, i am now running at around 700kb download & 380kb upload.
The problems here seem to have started after some work was done in the road out side the yard where i live , we had a water leak during the big freeze!! & the  water board was there three times digging up the road & just inside the gate, if they disturbed anything who knows, i dont know the route of the phone lines here , there are sevel offices around me.
Recently BT came & lifted up a duct in the yard to do some work.
regards
tel1749
tel1749
Dabbler

HI Matt
The speed test this morning gave me just over 700kb i just tested again & it is now at 472kb
regards
Tel1749