cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband Speed

macowens
Grafter

My Broadband Speed

I am considering changing my current BB product and when I go onto the 'Product Change' section of your website I am told
Current product: 24Mb(down) / 10Mb(up)
and
THIS IS YOUR CURRENT BROADBAND PACKAGE
Extra
5.5Mb download speed (estimated)
My average download speed is 12-13Mb so there is something wrong with that estimated speed?
Bearing in mind that currently I am on a package that offers 24Mb and I do receive 12-13Mb, I see that the 'new' BB products are 'Up to 16Mb speeds' - Does that mean I am unlikely to maintain my existing 12-13Mb?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: My Broadband Speed

The estimate will probably always have been that.  Have you ever noticed it before?
Whatever - those estimates are often wildy wrong. A change of package with Plusnet should leave you with exactly the speeds you have now. Nothing to worry about.
The new advertised speeds are to comply with the recently imposed advertising standards, which off the top of my head are that at least 10% of customers must be getting the advertised speed. Nobody on ADSL2+ can get anything like the previously used 24Mbps.  The best possible is just over 20Mbps, so to claim at least 10% get 16Mbps+ looks fine.
Edit - Surely you mean 1Mbps up, not 10Mbps?
macowens
Grafter

Re: My Broadband Speed

Cut and paste from the product change page -
Current product: 24Mb(down) / 10Mb(up)
I do seem to remember applying to have my upload increased from 384Kb to 1.2-ish Mb so I too think 10Mb upload is a bit optimistic - but that is what it says