cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband = 2MB, Flat below = 6.5MB? Help please!

fransorci
Grafter

My Broadband = 2MB, Flat below = 6.5MB? Help please!

Why!? Ever since I signed up for ADSL MAX with Plusnet, I got a respectable download speed of about 700kbps.
Recently: ie a few months, I can now only get up to a maximum of 240kbps.
Done checks on phone numbers of flats in the same block as me, and they come up at 6.5MB. I get 1.5MB.
I've tried ridiculous amounts of filters and routers and modems, so it's not hardware related. No other internal phone problems either (nothing connected)
After reading some threads, it looks like BT have changed my IP Profile or something?
How can I resolve this? As i'm 500 metres from the exchange, yet can only get 2MB! What I used to get....

Thanks, Fran.
36 REPLIES 36
fransorci
Grafter

Re: My Broadband = 2MB, Flat below = 6.5MB? Help please!

Speedtest results:
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps.
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2912 kbp
(DOWN-STREAM).
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1828 kbps.
Router stats:
SNR - 10db UP-STREAM and 15db DOWN-STREAM.
Sync speed  - 448kb UP-STREAM and 2912kb DOWN-STREAM.
Where would I find my attenuation?
Also from Plusnet: Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps.
Cheers for the quick response - hopefully this helps ^
Fran.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Several things wrong here.
1) Your PN IP profile of 8000 does not match the BT IP Profile so there is a problem with PN processing the BT Bras report which should set the PN speed the same as BTs.
2) You are only syncing at 2912Kbs so your IP profile (the speed you can receive data at) is set at 2000.
3) Your Downstream SNR is set at 15 which will reduce your sync rate by a considerable amount. This is the main reason you are running slower.
You must have has some problems on your line for BT to set the Min SNR at 15dB (instead of the normal 6dB).
You need to raise a ticket and try to see if PN can get your SNR back down to 6dB but BT have been very reluctant to do this in the past.
Note: Line attenuation is not important for ADSL Max. If you tell us your equipment we may be able to tell you however it is normally shown in the same place your sync rate and SNR figures are.
fransorci
Grafter

Right:
Peter - I shall raise the ticket now. I have recently raised a ticket with PN due to the line disconnecting everyday randomly. They turned interleaving on as a result, which has stopped the disconnecting. I feel this may have been a Sky Box or phone point problem though, as when I plug the Sky box into the phone point it's near, the router disconnects. (Tried many routers and filters, left all equipment unplugged since)
The router i'm currently using is a D-Link G624M 2XR. - Line att does not exist!
(Tried a Netgear DG834G and a Echolife HG520 also - not checked with these)
PJ - Yes I have tried connecting up via the Master Socket, and it makes no difference whether router is there, or at extension point in my room. All equipment was filtered, but now i've unplugged it all completely. (phone and Sky).
Tried swapping filters  again as you asked and stats were almost the same - connected at 3168kbps instead of 2912kbps.
Friend came round and checked the line - said it was fine, there was no noise, also using a corded phone was "crystal" clear.
Downstream SNR now 16 - 16.5db!
Cheers fellas for all the help so far - will ticket PN now about the SNR margin.

Prod_Man
Grafter

Depends on many, many factors ...
you don't have to read this dribble, but I thaught maybe I could enlighten with details
Please correct me if I am wrong
Current Braudband Speed is alwqays quoted a "Upto" xMbit -
See articles about Contention (Exchange side),
that's part of the reason, the other reasons are as follows.
There is no guarantee with telecoms (at the current standard in the UK) that your "Upto" 8mbit Download speed, is entirely reserved for each individual telephone line.

In essance you can be competeing for bandwidth with upto 50 people in the same area. (Domestic Braudband Products/Packages)
and (generally) 20/10 if you are a Business.
Next set of issues:
Client & Server End:
Is the Source(s) you are Downloading from Uncapped or capped?
if it bandwidth controlled?
slotted setup?
Hardware of your computer / internal LAN ...
Location can make a difference as well as route to the source ...
Time of Day - can affect speeds accross specific networks and commonly used Traffic routes.
as explained here,
Sync rate with the exchange,
ususally down to line noise or signal detierioration. (Db loss)
800kb/s is good by thses standards, I generally get similar speeds nearly anywhere. Sometimes, I have downloaded faster from certain West Coast American Services, than I have from a PlusNet Server.
A Phone will not test the range of Frequencies used by Braudband,
Braudband multiplexes using frequences as high as dogs hear... (or something along those lines) a Phone - behind a filter, filters out those frequenceies( not 100% but near enough).
therefor useing a Phone as a test is like saying "I can connect fine on a 56k Modem" yeah? .. because it;' not utilising the same range.
Hope this helps... (explanation wise more than anything)
Jim,
James
Grafter

It's worth pointing out that BT don't just change the target SNR because they feel like it.  There's generally a reason for doing so, namely interference on the line, which you may well not be able to notice on the voice side of your line.
If BT reduce your target SNR (which they are generally very reluctant to do) then you may start to experience intermittency in vast quantities.
fransorci
Grafter

Nice explanation Prod_Man, but I got near enough 8MB speeds about 6-7 months ago... What's changed?
We shall see what Plusnet say - the first reply was "The screen shot you provided shows you downloading at the full 8MB, is there a problem?" - Try reading my question! lol.
Otherwise, stuck on 3MB~ till I move house!
Edit: Oh and my SNR today is 19 - 19.5db : /
Cheers guys.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
The fact that your SNR is fluctuating considerable throughout the day should be a concern and may well be completely beyond your control.
I don't think that this is related to a high target SNR margin being set, but more along the "lines" (sorry) of there being issues on your actual telephone line that is causing your noise margin to increase to ensure that a stable connection is being received.
I have to be honest here.  There may be nothing that we can get BT to do in this instance, but we will do our utmost best.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Thanx fransorci,
Yeah sounds like a Line problem more than anything else,
roughly how far are you from the Exchange?
you see, (I think this is right) ..
My line, something like 1.2km by wires from the exchange (just under a mile in old money).
with some ridiculous Db loss (I'd have to check to be truthful for the exact db loss)
We had problems with total disconnects in our old house as we were so far from the Exchange (5.6km), we knew someone in BT, who fixed it up for us, apparently has a fault list as long as the Thems on the Unit/Rack we were on. ever since then it was fixed though Cheesy
872kb/s is not your full 8Mbit Wink
but a pretty respectable speed by all accounts
the lazy way to work it out is:
128kb/s = 1mbit
* 8 = 1024kb/s or "1megabyte/s"
is the full potential of the connection.
Best of luck finding the fault!
Jim,
fransorci
Grafter

So, Jameseh you mean that there may be problems with the actual physical line?
Like the quality of the wiring from the exchange to my flat?
Or the quality of the wiring in my flat - because this hasn't changed as far as I know in the last few months?
If I'd always had ~2MB then I wouldn't be fussed, but as I know ~8MB has been working lovely for ages that's why I wanted it back Smiley
Prod_man - I'm about 500 metres from my exchange, and my postcode search brings up I can get 6.5MB to 7MB.
Plusnet haven't got back to me yet so I'll update you when they do.
Thanks guys!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
This is actually the third time that PlusNet have got back to you Smiley
I've run a test on the line and it looks like the telephone cabling to the exchange is probably more in the region of 1-1.5km.  It often won't take a direct route to the exchange.
What is interest though is that there appears to be an issue as your upstream attenuation is higher than your downstream, potentially pointing towards an issue on your line or exchange.  I think you've done all the normal checks at your end, so I would be happy to send this to BT as a fault for you if you would like?
fransorci
Grafter

Ahem, yes sorry I meant the "My Questions" part Smiley
They got back to me too and said the SNR seemed to drop to 13db, and to leave the router connected for 2 weeks and check the progress. I rebooted the router and it showed 16.5db again.
If you think the attenuation is an issue or there is a fault on the line, then please raise it with BT!! I've paid them loads over the years and not had any issues previously Smiley
Thanks buddy - let me know what's going on.
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
What is interest though is that there appears to be an issue as your upstream attenuation is higher than your downstream, potentially pointing towards an issue on your line or exchange.

You may recall that we had a recent discussion about my fluctuating DS attenuation. Just to refresh, sometimes it will be 40dB and sometimes it will be 15.5dB. Currently, it's 15.5dB and my US attenuation is 21dB as you can see from the attached snapshot. Would this indicate a fault on my line/exchange, if so, please raise it as a fault with BT - thanks.
Regards .....
James
Grafter

I'm fairly certain that this isn't an issue with fluctuating attenuation.  I'd be inclined to point at a line card issue at the exchange.
Fransorci,
I've sent your fault to BT, but can you just confirm (I think you have already) that you have checked your internal wiring, filtering and router?
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm fairly certain that this isn't an issue with fluctuating attenuation.  I'd be inclined to point at a line card issue at the exchange.

So in other words, it could be a fault at the exchange.
If it is, BT need to fix it  Smiley
Regards .....