Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ADSL2+ connection dropped to ADSL1 type speeds

stuffit
Dabbler

My ADSL2+ connection dropped to ADSL1 type speeds

Hi all,
I logged a fault with Plusnet a few days back because my ADSL2+ connection is working a lot slower than it used to. Now I have a BT engineer scheduled to do a site visit in a couple of days and I wanted to get some advice before he/she visited.
I've been with Plusnet for around 10 years so have seen my ADSL connection increase in speed over that time as new packages became available. A year or two ago I was moved on to ADSL2+ and was getting consistant speeds of around 14 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up. I'm on a business package so could achieve those speeds all times of day, day after day, for months, no problem.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago (I'm not sure of when I first noticed) and I see my speeds maxing out at approx. 6-8 Mbps down and 300-440 Kbps up. I've never seen my speeds get above this since. It's now slower than when I had ADSL1 with Max Premium, years back! And on top of all that, the connection now drops once or twice a day too.
Plusnet's test results appear to confirm there's some kind of line issue, with the following pasted from their report (I can post more details if needed):-
Problem Explanation: [EPP30] An LTB issue has been identified with poor Indicative Line Quality (RED ILQ).
Resolution/Recommendation: Please confirm all CP and End User checks have been completed. KBD tests indicate no BTW network fault. This is a CCSFI enabled outcome.
Summary: Line is banded, but not chronically. LTB issue and poor line quality.
I'm concerned the BT engineer may say that my slow speeds are within limits and I'm stuck with that. Is that a possibility? Or is the fact that I used to get much faster speeds, enough to require it be fixed?
These new slow speeds (8 meg down / 0.4 meg up) seem eerily close to standard ADSL1 limits; could it be there's a setting that BT / Plusnet could have accidentally triggered a few weeks ago to put me on ADSL1 speeds? There was an outage at my local exchange a few weeks ago, possibly around the same time my speeds dropped - I don't know if that's just a coincidence or maybe what triggered the change.
For what it's worth, I've used two different routers, different filters, leads, and tested at the master socket. I've included my DSL Connection details as reported by my Thomson Plusnet router.
Uptime: 0 days, 10:37:01
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,152 / 16,804
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 14,328
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 82.51 / 1.39
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 19.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,625 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 40 / 4,918
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 26 / 2,043
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My ADSL2+ connection dropped to ADSL1 type speeds

The upload speed problem is that Plusnet by default cap everyone's upload speed to 448 - just ask them to uncap it and it will probably double or more.
I'm guessing that if you've changed products recently it was capped then.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you remember when your line was uncapped for the upload? I've been back to March and everything shows that it's been at the capped speed since then.
I've given someone in Business Support a nudge to dig in more detail.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
stuffit
Dabbler

I've never known my connection to have its upload capped, and that's going back a fair few years now. When I was on ADSL1, I paid extra for what was called Max Premium, so that gave me ~800Kbps upload speeds. When I moved to ADSL2 I saw this immediately increase to just over 1Mbps upload (along with getting ~14Mbps download) and it stayed like that until a few weeks ago (quite possibly back in March - I've been slow to report this).
If my upload has been capped then I'd definitely like to see that taken off, but the problem is also with my download. I'm not getting anything better than 8meg down as measured by various speedtests.
Dobby

Hi Monksteve,
I checked out your account earlier and have updated the ticket on it.
I checked and the upload is currently capped but placing the order to uncap it will effectively break the appointment booking on the provider's systems.
I will double check the account in the morning as there should be a better sync rate and hopefully no errors, then call you to discuss it and make any changes as required.
stuffit
Dabbler

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your reply and I see you've updated the ticket too. I'l go along with what ever you feel is best so happy to wait for a call tomorrow.
Cheers!
Dobby

Hi Monksteve,
I've place the uncap order as discussed and ordered changes to the DLM settings as I explained yesterday.
The appointment is now cancelled.
Hopefully this clears everything up.
I wasn't able to get through on the call but if you update the ticket on the account I'll see it whilst I'm in office.
stuffit
Dabbler

Thanks Dobby!
Dobby

No problem.