cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple broadband problems

phile
Grafter

Multiple broadband problems

I have a ticket open on this, but nothing seems to be happening so I'm going to try my luck here too.
My broadband seems to have multiple problems:
- A possible REIN issue: this appeared to cause connection drop-outs in the evenings through generating masses of CRC errors. This is under investigation and I'm waiting for BT to get back to me on it. However, it has diminshed in importance to me since I received a new router from PlusNet which appears to be able to cope with the problem just fine.
- Interference between voice & broadband traffic: whenever I receive or make a phone call, I can hear hissing/crackling on the line & the router reports a drop in SNR along with huge numbers of CRC errors. After a short while, sync is lost whereupon the noise on the line stops but is replaced by a whistling noise which I assume is the router trying to re-sync. This has got so bad that I now have to unplug the router every time I want to use the phone.
- My IP profile appears to have been set to 500. A BT speedtester test done a few minutes ago reports download speed at 387Kbps, with a maximum allowable of 500Kbps - this on a line that routinely syncs at about 6500 and previously could achieve download speeds in excess of 4500Kbps. I'm assuming the IP profile has been dropped in response to the other problems on the line, but I can't live with it like that.
The wiring inside the house has been checked thoroughly by two BT engineers, one of whom installed an ADSL face plate and data extension kit. I have also tried plugging the router into the test socket (and I used several different microfilters too) and the problems remain exactly the same.
Apart from the possible REIN issue, I can only assume there is a problem at the exchange and I really, really want to get it fixed. Are you there, PlusNet?
Phil
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Multiple broadband problems

HI phile,
I've someone picking this up now to see if we can find out the latest update for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI phile,
This is definitely a REIN issue. There's a review of this tomorrow which we will have to chase for you then. We'll keep you updated.
Jojo Smiley
phile
Grafter

Thanks Jo - Matthew P. has been in touch and things are moving again. Ta.
Phil
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Phile,
No worries, Matthew and I will both be reminding each other of this tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
phile
Grafter

Me again,
BT Speedtester is still reporting my IP profile is set at 500.
Any progress on getting it set to something sensible?
Phil
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Phile,
Matthew is checking for updates now, and I'm doing some line checks. I'll let you know when we have more information.
Jojo Smiley
cartman
Grafter

If you get another engineer out ask him to fit a RF3 filter its helped mine lots.
I still get loads of noise on my line crackling ,loud hiss etc but doesnt drop my connection.
May help you?  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Phile,
I see the phone fault fault was cleared (or not found) and things have picked up. Is all still well?
Jojo Smiley