Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Static IP's

Loozx
Dabbler

Multiple Static IP's

Hi all,
When I signed up to Plusnet I was told that the following was possible by the sales lady & that a member of tech support could help me. After purchasing a subscription technical support told me that I'd have to post this on the forums for the more advanced engineers to see so here goes!
I'm looking at buying multiple Static IP's and then assigning each PC on my network with its very own static WAN IP. I've read that this can be done as long as I have a basic router that is NAT based. Could someone help walk me through this please?
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
Loozx
Dabbler

Re: Multiple Static IP's

taras
Grafter

This page with links to requesting blocks of ips - you will need to fill in a ripe form
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml
Loozx
Dabbler

Ok thanks, how do I go about configuring it in my router?
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you trying to do this with any particular router and need device specific instructions ?,
 or
just looking for generalised "how-to" guidelines ?,
 or
are you looking to buy a router that can do what you want with minimal configuring ?.

How many static WAN IP addresses are you looking to use ?
Loozx
Dabbler

Hi Purleigh,
I'm looking for help with two things: What router would I need & whether or not I would need a router for each WAN IP?
Id be looking at buying around 4 WAN IP's, once I get the routers bought & IP addresses I'll post back and see if anyone can offer me any assistance with setting it up.
Thanks
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Loozx,
Forgive me for asking this but are you sure you understand what you actually need? Your mixed use of terminology and nature of some of your questions suggest that you might be better off stating what your ultimate objective is as the best solution may not align with exactly what you have asked for.
Mathew
taras
Grafter

I agree with mjn. Can you explain what you what your ultimate goal is. Also a block of 4 ips will leave you with two usuable IPs (one for the router and one for the devices !) !!

Loozx
Dabbler

Thanks for the speedy response guys and apologies if I'm mincing my words!
My ultimate objective is to have 4 computers with separate WAN IP addresses.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do the computers actually need WAN IP addresses or could you achieve whatever you're trying to do with NAT and port forwarding? For 4 devices to have separate IP's you'd actually need an 8 block due to the way IP blocks work.
Unfortunately IP blocks are only available on our business accounts: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml?source=keymatch#ipBlocks
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Loozx
My ultimate objective is to have 4 computers with separate WAN IP addresses.

Again, I suggest not giving the solution but rather stating what it is you want to achieve. As Chris touched on many such requirements can often be satisfied with a single public address, NAT and port forwarding.
Aside from anything else, IPv4 addresses are getting scarce(r) so you really need to justify why it is you need them.
Mathew
Loozx
Dabbler

OK, I don't mind upgrading to a business line if needed.
I run a marketing business & each advertiser on my network needs a separate WAN IP as to limit their digital footprint. With the traffic platforms we run on, if one account is banned all associated accounts are banned also. This is why it's vital for me to have a separate WAN IP address per computer.
Thanks
taras
Grafter

Sorry to ask this but why would an account be banned? Further I see no "business" activity that would occur to get "accounts banned"? Surely a dynamic single ip would be better
Loozx
Dabbler

Each WAN IP will manage an account and behind each account is an account manager.
However our client will also have access to the advertisement platform which is hosted on this machine remotely. If one of our clients were to use material that is deemed offensive or against the traffic sources T&C they ban the account out-right and everyone associated. Unfortunately with these companies you are often guilty until proven innocent so I am trying to minimize as much risk as possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be surprised if you can't do what you are requesting with a DrayTek Vigor 2830 Series ADSL Router or DrayTek Vigor 2850 Series VDSL & ADSL Router