cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple IP addresses

BRABUS
Grafter

Multiple IP addresses

Is it possible to get a package that has multiple IP addresses?  We have some friends who have their broadband with another provider and they get 32 ip addresses.  They wouldn't need all 32 anymore but will still need a fair few.

They want to come to Plus Net as I keep raving about them but haven't moved so far because of their need for ip addresses.
9 REPLIES 9
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Multiple IP addresses

What on earth did they ever need 32 IP addresses for? I know some people do, but do they have a number of servers accessible to the outside world? Or are they misunderstanding something about how things work?
BRABUS
Grafter

They didn't need 32 but their ISP gave the option of 1 or 32.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Given that IP4 addresses have run out, an ISP that is giving out blocks of 32 willy nilly should be shot!
2. IP blocks are available to some customers, see http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_block_allocation.shtml. Unfortunately that page is not updated for Essentials and Unlimited.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BRABUS
Grafter

They have been with that ISP for about 10 years, so it was before people thought we would run out of addresses
I will send them that link to look at though thanks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You'll need to wait until PN say what the situation is for the new products. I'm certain it won't be available on Essentials, Unlimited I'd guess the chances are 50/50.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sounds to me they chose to have 32 because it's a higher number than 1.
I would be interested to know what kind of setup requires the use of more than one IP, that can't be done with a static IP and port forwarding.
I also thought that to be allocated a block, you'd had to fill in a form (I seem to remember it being called a RIPE form?) where you had to justify why you needed them.
BRABUS
Grafter

No idea if they did a form or not and not sure why they need more than one, I just thought I would ask if it was possible on PN for them.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jelv
2. IP blocks are available to some customers, see http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_block_allocation.shtml. Unfortunately that page is not updated for Essentials and Unlimited.

I've asked the content folk to correct this as soon as they've the opportunity (ref: 73945).
You'll need to wait until PN say what the situation is for the new products. I'm certain it won't be available on Essentials, Unlimited I'd guess the chances are 50/50.

We've no intention of offering IP blocks on any residential product, which includes the new Essentials/Unlimited (although a single IP is available on request for Unlimited at a one-off charge of £5). Neither do we offer a /27 on business accounts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Has now been updated. Thanks for pointing it out jelv.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵