Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple ADSL down disconnects again

FIXED
Mardler
Rising Star

Multiple ADSL down disconnects again

The connection has been fairly stable for months but in the last few days the disconnects have returned: from yesterday c.22:00 until 01:45 the ADSL connection dropped many times. Since then it's been stable.

I have two questions:-

1. Was this common nationwide?

2. If not, can PN ascertain anything about the exchange?

I notice the old issue with the reconnect being at a higher SNRM than the router setting, in the past this was rectified without action from me and no reconnect just an SNRM drop as I watched.

The last time this happened, last summer, it was definitely an OR line fault confirmed by an on site engineer. 

Replies from PN only, please.

16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Multiple ADSL down disconnects again

Why replies from PN only - surely you want help here, no matter where it comes from?

In the first instance, it would be wise to follow the standard trouble shooting process, if for nothing more than eliminating the usual culprits and thereby shortening your time to finding a resolution.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Please post your full router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

@Mardler There's no service outages showing in your area that's affecting your line.

I've tested your line today and the tests are all passing although we can see the drops you've had last night.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

"Why replies from PN only - surely you want help here, no matter where it comes from?"

No, I don't want help: I want a simple answer to a simple question. I meant exactly what I said. 

I am as well versed technically as anyone here. All the answers cite the usual noddy stuff so let me elucidate. The last time this happened non PN advice was all the very basic stuff (quiet line test, checking connections, rebooting router, changing filters etc) some of which which I had already carried out in the past to no avail but not this time as the diagnostics pointed to an external fault yet people kept repeating their mistaken belief that my router was faulty or I was a moron who didn't know what he was doing. I made it very clear that nothing had changed at my end therefore I was sure that there was either a line fault or an exchange fault and also described the strange SNRM behaviour but still the responses were the same. By sheer chance, a couple of days later I saw an OR tech at a hole in the ground located halfway between us and the exchange, c.400metres. He explained (a) that there was indeed a line fault that they had been working on at the time of the isconnects and that they were rerouting the exchange connections which would have caused the SNRM behaviour (he was familiar with the router as he had the same model). The time before that, with PN help, a line fault was found and rectified by OR.  So, I was right and the responders wrong.

All I want is a simple yes/no from PN as they have kindly done before.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Gandalf, that's all I need to know for now.

All is fine at the moment so fingers crossed.

Your swift attention is much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Mardler let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

FWIW, it just  happened again. This time the reconnect was near instantaneous and at the nominally correct SNRM.

These, fairly rare, events start at c.23:00hrs. The pattern is obvious, the cause not so much.

If history is anything to go by, the situation will continue for a little longer then right itself and stabilise for a long time: tonight might even be that event.

***** PN: no action required. *****

Mardler
Rising Star

PN: please note that my original question was answered but the fault continues.

Since Tuesday the connection has sometimes dropped at c.03:00 but always at around 22:15 or so with an additional one at c.23:15 on Wednesday.

It was 22:17 and 23:08 tonight.

Usually this behaviour ceases after a few days but this is starting to look set in. As every time before, nothing whatsoever has changed in the premises. The few times that the problem didn't self resolve before now it was always a line or exchange fault.

Just to be clear, the connection to the exchange remains up, it's the ADSL connection that drops.

Some might say it's DLM "learning" but I doubt it.

So, PN, where to now?

Mardler
Rising Star

PN: fyi, it's always a PPP connection Down issue on PPPOA.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Mardler, thanks for getting back in touch and I'm sorry to see connection issues look to be persisting. Checking over your connection from this side and shown by the graph below we can see the intermittent drops which look to be taking place and I'd recommend we look at raising this to our suppliers so we can get an engineer out to investigate further.

If then you could please raise the fault here and let us know once you have this raised so we can look to progress this towards an engineer appointment for you. Although the engineer may not be able to witness the drops occurring given the time the connection is dropping. I'm hoping their further testing of the line and connection can help identify what's causing the issues so this can be corrected. I look forwards to hearing from you.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, BD.

FYI, it happened again at 22:10 tonight. It's definitely a problem upstream of the premises so I will report the issue as you suggest. There's one thing I need to check which may mean waiting until 22:00+ tomorrow.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN: I tried your link, Ben, and it's down. If this is anything to go by it's permanently down:- https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Reporting-Faults/td-p/1555216

That page also highlights something I was going to mention. The fault lies in the PPP domain i.e. Exchange><PN. I hope an OR person is savvy enough to find any exchange fault; it's too easy for them to say it's not their fault.

I will try your link tomorrow, ITM the next disconnect was bang on cue at 23:10.

Mardler
Rising Star

Fault reported as requested.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Mardler 

I've picked up the fault ticket you've raised and added a reply Here.

If you can post back once you've responded, we'll make sure that's picked back up as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Please see my latest response on the open ticket.