cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to plusnet tomorrow - no router delivered

spudbynight
Dabbler

Moving to plusnet tomorrow - no router delivered

I am due to be connected to plusnet's fibre package tomorrow. A BT engineer is due in the afternoon. I haven't received a router from plusnet and having called them this evening it transpires they never even posted out a router!
The chap I spoke to was very apologetic but the only option he could provide was having the BT modem installed tomorrow and then waiting for the router to be delivered by them. He did say that it would be possible to connect a single machine directly to the openreach modem.
Unfortunately as I work from home that isn't going to cut the mustard. I need to (at a minimum) be able to connect two computers and a single VOIP phone to the internet. Can anyone offer any advice on how I might be able to work around this?
I must say I haven't even been connected to PlusNet yet and I am having regrets. One of the reasons I chose them was because of their supposed customer service.
At the moment I am with SKY. Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel/delay the migration to PlusNet at this point without losing service from SKY?
8 REPLIES 8
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Moving to plusnet tomorrow - no router delivered

Any standard router that provides PPPoE will work - I currently use a 582n that PN supplied but also have a couple of TP-Link 841n flashed with DD-WRT which I also use (and the original 582n sitting in the attic).
A quick trip to Tesco / PC World or Maplin to buy a cable/FTTC router would be a rather more expensive solution than should be necessary but will get you up and running.
If you're local to Wellingborough I have one you can borrow until you get sorted ?
spudbynight
Dabbler

I am in Hove, so a bit far away.
I also don't drive - I have checked out the local Tesco and nothing carried. Need to see if there is anywhere within reach of a bus. I normally buy all my stuff online and get it delivered.
picbits
Rising Star

May be worth checking out your local Freegle / Freecycle groups too - routers are often offered (for free) and you can always request one and see if you get lucky.
Not sure if you can use your existing Sky router with it (I suspect not) but as long as you get a cable router (i.e. one without an ADSL modem built in) which supports PPPoE then it should work fine.
tonycollinet
Grafter

If you have a spare laptop (or the computer connected to the modem also has wifi) then you can use it as a wireless hotspot to connect other devices to the internet using internet connection sharing. Here's how on windows 7
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm sorry to hear that we didn't get the router sent out to you, I'll follow up why this didn't happen.
As other members of the community have suggested, the best way forward if you need access to the internet with more than one device, would be to get hold of a PPPoE enabled router until the router is delivered. We'll get the router out to you as quickly as we possibly can.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I am in Hove, so a bit far away. Need to see if there is anywhere within reach of a bus.
I wouldn't normally suggest buying from PCWorld but in an emergency...
There's a branch in Hove apparently
Any of these will do ( well apart from the MR3040! ) http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/cable-wireless-routers/727_7087_70094_xx_xx/1_20...
OR what about Argos ( there's a branch in Brighton ) http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10151&catalogI...
Any of the ones shown as Cable routers will work.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spudbynight
Dabbler

Flippen 'eck (as they say in Yorkshire)
I managed to pickup a TP-Link router in PC World (45 min walk there and 45min walk back)
No broadband due to another cockup. For some reason my broadband order was cancelled (due to some sort of systems glitch). I only discovered this when I called PlusNet to find out where the engineer was. They are talking about the earliest they can reschedule an appointment as being Thursday next week. So, no connectivity at the moment at all. (I am in a flat with poor mobile reception as well)
Not a happy bunny at all. I haven't even been connected by Plusnet yet and we have had two issues.
Funnily enough I chose PlusNet on the basis of perceived customer service.
picbits
Rising Star

Grrr - not a good start to the Plusnet experience all round then Sad
Keep your PC World receipt - you might get the PN router through in time now !
Hopefully they'll sort you out and the rest of your time here will go smoothly. PN aren't perfect but compared to many of the other ISP's they are pretty good and the guys who man the forums are great Smiley