cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to a New Home Soon, Currently Not a PlusNet Customer, What's the Best Procedure?

ManBearPig

Moving to a New Home Soon, Currently Not a PlusNet Customer, What's the Best Procedure?

So basically I will be moving to a new home on 31 March next month. I'm currently with Sky broadband and phone, but they can't transfer your existing telephone number to a new property. However, I believe Plusnet can, plus they are also roughly £5 cheaper per month for new customers.

So, what's the best way to go about this? Do I order plus net now (which roughly takes 10 days) and then tell them I'll need my broadband and phone number transfer to a new home which is in the same exchange code at the end of March, or do I wait and order Plusnet from new closer to my move date.

It's vitally important that I'm not left without any broadband for more than a day.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Moving to a New Home Soon, Currently Not a PlusNet Customer, What's the Best Procedure?

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

If you're moving within the same exchange area, I can't see why you can't keep your number with Sky.

Are you sure it is the same exchange? If not, PN wouldn't be able to give you the same number either.. Area codes cover several exchanges.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
bin
Aspiring Pro

Re: Moving to a New Home Soon, Currently Not a PlusNet Customer, What's the Best Procedure?

My advice to you would be to investigate - thoroughly - the availability of 3G and 4G signal at your new home.

Whichever provider seems to be the best I would consider some sort of PAYG data service - or contract whichever offers the best deal.

Whilst I find it bizarre that Sky won't let you take your number - unless it was a Sky number to start with - I don't know enough about their system to comment. What I can suggest is that you look at some of the more unfortunate posts on these forums about service provision, house moving and number transfer and then consider the minimal amount of time you have left in which to arrange this. Whilst it *could* work, it might not.

By all means sign up to PN in order to do what you describe, but do not depend on Day 1 phone/broadband provision in your new home as it just won't happen. That's not just PN and is not a swipe at them, but pretty well any provider these days - again a sweeping statement but best to prepare for the worst case scenario. I'm sure that many PN customers have moved smoothly it's just the whole transfer Sky to PN and then arrange move in 30 days seems a recipe for confusion.

Option 2 is wait till you've moved then just start again with a new number and new BB service - it may actually be less stressful provided you can get good mobile data for a few weeks.