cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to FTTP with BT Retail

madjbright
Grafter

Moving to FTTP with BT Retail

Because of my location (in a cul-de-sac close to the centre of a small rural town with the FTTP manifold in a pavement chamber within 20 m of my front door) Openreach want to charge PlusNet a large additional sum to provision me on FTTP and PlusNet have to pass this charge on to me. I cannot afford to pay this charge and therefore I have reluctantly decided to order FTTP through BT Retail to see whether they will provision me without the same large additional charge.
Having placed the FTTP Infinity 2 order BT Retail did not ask for a MAC. It appears that I will be provisioned on PVF as well as FTTP and therefore the copper connection will be completely redundant. Assuming that BT Retail do provision me without the large additional charge what will happen to the PlusNet ADSL? How do I cancel it? At what point should I cancel? Will there be a charge for cancellation? I have been with PlusNet for over 10 years.
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Moving to FTTP with BT Retail

It's a big risk cancelling the ADSL until the FTTP is up and running as I think once the cancellation order is placed, it cannot be stopped.
There is also a cessation fee - but I don't think this should apply if you're upgrading to fibre. I am not entirely sure though what happens when you place an order with a different ISP for fibre.
This is going to raise serious question marks about BT Retail's relationship with Openreach if the excessive construction charge is waived.
madjbright
Grafter

I agree about the relationship between BT Retail and Openreach if the excess construction charge is waived or absorbed somehow, particularly as the situation for BT Retail and PlusNet should be even more identical then any other ISP as they are both part of the BT group. However, I felt that I had to try.
I also agree about cancelling. I do not want to do anything unless the BT Retail provisioning is really going to happen but the BT Order shows no phone line on my account after the order which means that I will not be paying a line rental for the coper, only for the Fibre. So I would like the answers now so that I can make the appropriate request at the appropriate time to ensure that my Internet connection is maintained with the least cost possible.
acarneiro
Grafter

I also have the FFTC cabinet 20 metres from my front door and I'm quite interested in your setup, especially as I'm fed up of paying for a landline I neither need nor use.
I'd like to get FTTP but it seems like nobody is able or willing to do it as yet.
How did you get that ball rolling?
Who did you contact? What prices have been mentioned to you? What monthly fee will there be and what bandwidth will that be for?
Thanks! Cheesy
madjbright
Grafter

I live in Whitchurch, Hants, which was one of the winners of the race to infinity. BT, in their wisdom, decided to deploy FTTP to the lines on the cabinet that I am on rather than FTTC. That means that the rest of the town has had fibre for 2 years now while we are still waiting. So I did nothing to get the ball rolling. I have gone for Infinity 2 with BT Retail which is an 80/20 unlimited service at £26.00 per month exactly the same as their FTTC product.
If you have FTTC available to you now then the only option for FTTP is FTTP on Demand which is only available for certain exchanges. You will have to pay for the install (based upon my situation that will be costly) and then I believe that is is a 2 year contract on the 300/30 product. I do no know what the monthly charge is.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi madjbright,
It looks as though you're out of contract so the only requirements to cancel would be 10 days notice. There is an additional cessation charge involved from removal of the services if they are cancelled instead of migrating so it may be worth taking this into account if BT process this by way of a cease. In order to arrange the cancellation with us you will need to speak to our Customer Options Team direct on 0800 013 2632 and they should be able to give you a detailed run through on the costs of cancellation.
As for the costs involved with the FTTP provide, Openreach will most definitely pass on the cost of this to BTW as it would be a serious breach of regulations if they didn't, however, this isn't to say that BT won't be willing to absorb the costs if this makes financial sense to them in the long run.
It would be interesting to see how this pans out so please keep up informed on the outcome and we're sorry to see that you're considering the move away from us.

Hope this helps,
Adam C
madjbright
Grafter

Adam, thanks for the clarification. I am only considering moving away from PlusNet because of the excess construction charge. As you can see from my account this is not a small charge and if I can get FTTP from BT without paying it then I have no option. PlusNet have provided me with an excellent service over the past 11 years and there is no other reason to move away.
I will keep this post up-to-date on progress. BT have already contacted me to let me know that there will be a delay in installing the fibre so that they can do a site survey and work out whether there is work that needs to be done.
The interesting thing about the excess construction charge is that it covers far more than is needed to provision me with Fibre. The work would cover many of the other houses in my close, which seems somewhat unfair and is causing a block to anyone actually getting fibre installed.