cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Cornwall in a couple of months. PlusNet service there?

FIXED
SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Moving to Cornwall in a couple of months. PlusNet service there?

I'm moving to Cornwall in a couple of months and I don't think the house has a telephone line. Does that mean I'll have to leave PlusNet? How can I check if the village (Feock) has BT lines?

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Moving to Cornwall in a couple of months. PlusNet service there?

Try putting your new address in here. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.address

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Try the address / post code in the following

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Thanks guys.

I think I need a BT Engineer to tell me what on earth the result means!

BBand_Avail.png

Baldrick1

It shows that your only sensible broadband option is FTTP. You need to ask Plusnet if they will put you on to the FTTP trial. Alternatively you will have to move ISP to one that offers FTTP such as BT.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero

As advised, Fibre to the Premises is available for which you don't need a phone line. As a PlusNet customer you are eligible (I believe) to join the "Trial" they run.

Hopefully a FTTP trained member of staff will pick up this thread and advise you of the way forward. Note that as it's a trial most phone and live chat staff know little if anything about FTTP.

Is it a new build you're moving to or an existing property? If existing, you need to ask if the current owners have an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) fitted - this is required for the FTTP service. If fitted, this makes things a lot simpler.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Those results indicate that we can either provide you with 1-3mbps on standard broadband (Providing that we can install a phone line), or fibre to the premises (FTTP) which we're currently trialing and offering speeds of either 38mbps or 76mbps.

If you would like to go ahead with a copper line/broadband I'd call our house moves team on 0800 587 1952, or if you're interested in joining the FTTP trial, please can you raise a ticket to us at http://trial.plus.net. As well as providing the requested information, I'd also provide us with your new address and your move date.

Let us know over here once you've done this and we'll be happy to pick the ticket up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@SkylineUK_Dup

If you go for the FTTP option I understand that you do not need a telephone line, you buy an IP phone to connect to the router and get a VOIP telephone number.. This could result in the FTTP option working out cheaper than a pathetic ADSL speed and steam age telephone.

Sometimes you win....

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero

@SkylineUK_Dup

Do you need a phone line? If not, then FTTP works out at £18.50 for the up 38 and £23.50 for up to 78 - there is a £2.50 surcharge for internet only on top of the standard charge. Far cheaper than internet + phone.

Do you know what mobile coverage is like at the new address? Many FTTP users (like myself) drop our phone line simply because it's not needed.

For the moment you've got the most important part done - you've got the attention of an FTTP trained member of staff.

Brian

Edit : Forgot to add - if you go down the FTTP route then the best place for advice (and indeed support) is the Fibre to the Premises forum.

bmc
Hero

@SkylineUK_Dup

Couple of thoughts have (belatedly!!!) come to mind.

As the DSL checker is suggesting an ADSL service is available then this suggest a phone line is in place.

The checker also shows WBC FTTP available as a "2 stage" install and the narrative talks of the phone feed as "UG partial Direct in Ground" - both of these are suggestive of an older building (ie not a new build).

Two stage means two visits from OR to install the fibre cable. This is the old method of installation (new is one visit). If the property has been lived in there must be a more than even chance that FTTP has been installed.

Brian

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Thanks all.

Mobile reception is a bit poor so we'd like a landline.  I'll find out soon what the current owner has in place and then get in touch with PlusNet.

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

Gandalf, thanks.

"...raise a ticket to us at http://trial.plus.net. As well as providing the requested information...."

That link doesn't work for some reason.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No problems. We should be able to supply you with a phone line and FTTP.

Drop us a reply over here if you do decide to apply for the FTTP trial and I'll be happy to place the order.

[edit]

sorry it's trials.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@SkylineUK_Dup wrote:

Gandalf, thanks.

"...raise a ticket to us at http://trial.plus.net. As well as providing the requested information...."

That link doesn't work for some reason.

@SkylineUK_Dup

You need to be logged into PlusNet (not the Community) for the link to work.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I got the link wrong, it's trials.plus.net with an s.

Sorry everyone. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet