cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my broadband experience

Vikpal
Grafter

Moving my broadband experience

I have been with PlusNet for close to 4 years now and it has been great. No complaints about the service. Recently though, I had to move my house and with it the broadband (we are keeping the same phone number) and that experience has been frustrating to say the least. I realise that a lot of it is not PlusNet's fault, but it is still aggravating.
The original ticket to move the broadband was raised on 13th October, and service to the old house was cut on 3 November as expected. I even got this done earlier than our actual moving date since I was told it takes 5 days to discontinue service and 5 days to start it at the new place.
For some reason, BT only decided to start the new service on 14th November. Apparently they never did, and I still dont have an answer as to what was wrong. Finally after multiple updates on the ticket, yesterday I was told that the order was closed off on BT openreach systems and it takes 40 hours to close off on PluNet's systems. Yet I am not sure what it means.
Meanwhile my broadband is still not working. I connect for a while 3-4 minutes, and then the DSL sync is lost. The modem tries again and then the cycle repeats. I am not sure what problem this is: is this something to do with the new house, or is it because there are still updates being done. 24 hours have passed out of the 40, but no luck yet.
Lets hope I finally get service in the end...
Sorry, just had to vent, but its frustrating not to know why the delay was, or whether there is some other issue.  Cry
My username is vikrantpallu BTW
Added later:
Hmm, read http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/05/28/house-moves-processes-payments-and-problems/
I have passed this 12 day window though. Not sure about this whole DACS thing.
57 REPLIES 57
James
Grafter

Re: Moving my broadband experience

Hiya,
I'm sorry that you've had such a problem trying to get your house move completed.
I've just given BT a ring and they have stated that your order has indeed been completed, but it just isn't showing as such on the system that we use.  They've got a developer task to get this done however.
The fact that you are getting some form of connection shows that your order has completed, although your not able to hold on to the signal for long enough for it to be worthwhile.  I can see that you have also raised a fault, which is the right way to progress this.  We'll get the fault raised to BT for you and hopefully we can get this sorted out as quickly as possible.
Vikpal
Grafter

40 hours have now passed as per the support ticket. Still there is no change in the situation. I still cannot connect for any meaningful interval.
Any suggestions?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am afraid to say a weekend is a bad time to have a BT problem Undecided
puddy
Grafter

It would help if plusnet cs agents did not tell lies when things go wrong
I lost my voip service on Monday and Tuesday last week. 
Gradwell admitted that the problem was their end  but plusnet kept blaming my equipment and I had to write tickets 4 times telling them  gradwell admitted to the outage
What really got to me was the last ticket  which said no otheir users had the same problem.  Thats not true
If that member of staff read this forum he would see that it was not only me!!!
puddy
=jillweekes account
artificer
Grafter

doesn't matter if no-one else didn't have the problem, does it puddy?  you have the problem and they're fobbing you off.  not good enough.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Puddy,
I'm sorry about the hassle, that should not have happened. I'll take a look at your account and have a word with agents concerned.
Vikpal, I'm sorry about the delay. I'll call BT for you when I get into the office and find out what's happening with this for you.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Vikpal,
Our provisioning team should now have contacted BT for you and given you an update on the order - it should be closed off within 48 hours, many apologies for the delay.
Puddy, I'm sorry about that ticket - looks entirely like responses were being added without the rest of the ticket being read. I've had a word with the agents concerned for you.
Hope that helps all, sorry again.
Cheers,
Matt
Vikpal
Grafter

Hello
Still no connection form ore than 2-3 minutes. The CSR from PN did call me up today and said that should be able to connect, its a matter of administratively closing the ticket on PN side.
However I cant seem to remain connected for more than 5 minutes. I fear its not simply a case of the ticket not being closed, but could be something else. I am using a Netgear DG834G v4 that used to work without any problems earlier in the old location. Here are the stats
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 928 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 12.4 db 16.0 db
from the 2-3 mins that I did manage to connect. Apart from the speed what is worrying is the loss of sync every 3-4 mins

I cant run the BT speed test... the connection is lost before the test  can complete.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If you look at the line attenuation, it's really, really high.  You're right on the limits of being able to receive a service at all.  Not that I'm trying to put a dampener on anything at all.
Ultimately you should be able to receive a stable service.  Is there any way at all that you could try borrowing a modem from a friend at all?  I completely appreciate that your router worked fine at your old address, but now you're on an extremely long line, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try using a different modem or router just to rule out hardware failure.
Either way, I'll be happy to give it another look in the morning if you could remind me.
Vikpal
Grafter

Ok
I am now using a Voyageer 105, a USB modem. I did get connected at a higher speed: 2.2 Mbps
Unfortunately I cant get signal details on this like the earlier one, unless you tell me how.

I did connect long enough to run the BT speedtest. But it claims that my login details do not match its database. I entered vikrantpallu@plus.net
BTW I am using the standard DSL filter that you sent. Are there better filters available that would help?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You enter the broadband login, as configured for your modem/router.
Vikpal
Grafter

BT speedtester finally accepted the login credentials
But the test does not complete. Takes a long time and the connection drops out.
I have now checked the connection at 2 different points in the house, with no phones connected, with a DSL filter, and 2 different modems and 2 different computers.
Same result.
Vikpal
Grafter

Hi James
A gentle reminder as requested.
James
Grafter

Morning Vikpal,
It looks a bit better.  Your downstream attenuation has gone done a little (0.5dB) which is a step in the right direction.
You're now syncing at 448/1568Kbps which is also a step in the right direction.
You're best off sticking to your master socket.  Is that where you are connected now?
If you do need a new wireless router, we can send you one if you stick with us for another year and authorise a payment of £6.99 for the postage and packing.  Let me know Smiley