cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house, keeping phone number - do I need to do anything?

benskia
Grafter

Moving house, keeping phone number - do I need to do anything?

Hi,
I'll be moving house in about 3 weeks time (all being well).
If I chose to keep my same BT number, will the plus.net internet service just move with me too?
Also, what if I dont keep the same number (unlikely tbh), is there something I need to do in that situation?
Thanks everyone.
2 REPLIES 2
paulby
Grafter

Re: Moving house, keeping phone number - do I need to do anything?

Quote from: benskia
Hi,
I'll be moving house in about 3 weeks time (all being well).
If I chose to keep my same BT number, will the plus.net internet service just move with me too?

No!  AFAIK it can take a bit longer to move your ADSL if you keep the same number. You'll need to fill in the house move tool to move your connection.
See this page.
If you change your number things will go more quickly!! You still have to fill in the same house move tool.
petejigsaw
Grafter

Re: Moving house, keeping phone number - do I need to do anything?

Hi Benskia
I recently moved house, managing to coincide moving with going on holiday for 2 weeks immeadiately afterwards, meaning that some ADSL downtime wouldn't matter, as I was keeping my number.
I got a start date from Plusnet before I went away, and this target date was bettered by them, which was impressive - in all it took about 8 days I think.
However, when I returned from holiday, although they said the connection was now active, it appears that something at the exchange was not quite right, as I couldn't connect, but a call to CS and it was sorted within 4 hours!
My main advice would be to plan for the downtime and then anything better is a bonus - we have an archaic system in this country whereby BT will move your phone number within a given few hours on the day you move, but any associated services for that number they say takes 10 days!!!!!!  Madness.............
The sooner we have a fully free market the better!