cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house, best process and how to get the best out of BT!

jamessealey
Grafter

Moving house, best process and how to get the best out of BT!

Hi Guys
Apologies if this info is elsewhere (I know, not the best start to a thread ever written but...) I am going to be moving house towards the end of the month, and whilst I am hoping to leave behind my BT phone line (the new property currently has an active line installed and up and running) I want to take my ever wonderful PlusNet with me!
Now currently the new house has a broadband service, but the guy I am moving into is well willing to cancel them and get rid of them in order to make use of the wonderful PlusNet.
Now I have read through James' guide to moving house, and trawled BT's website for hints and sources of info as to what order I am best doing things in, but ultimatly I believe I need to take the following steps:

• Cancel Talk Talk at new house

• Cancel BT Phone line at current house (leaving number behind)

• Ask PlusNet to move my package to new house

Anything else? Can anyone advise on past experience the timescales for completing these or similar tasks? Obviously some down time with my internet connection is anticipated, but is there anything I can do to minimise the downtime?
James
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: Moving house, best process and how to get the best out of BT!

Hiya,
From what I understand:
New house has TalkTalk phone and broadband.
Current house has Plusnet broadband with BT Phone.
In which case, we could place a number porting order to take over the telephone line at the new house from TalkTalk and once that's been done, we can place an order to install Plusnet Broadband on top of Plusnet Phone.  You'd be able to request that the BT line were to be cancelled at the same time as the ongoing process.
Does that make sense?
jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
From what I understand:
New house has TalkTalk phone and broadband.
Current house has Plusnet broadband with BT Phone.
In which case, we could place a number porting order to take over the telephone line at the new house from TalkTalk and once that's been done, we can place an order to install Plusnet Broadband on top of Plusnet Phone.  You'd be able to request that the BT line were to be cancelled at the same time as the ongoing process.

Cheers for the prompt reply Jamesh!
Essentially you have grasped it, however i'm not certain if we want to switch the phone to Plus Net also, I think for the usage it would get (or rather wouldn't), we would be more than happy just dropping it back to BT and allowing you guys to focus on our internet access.
James
James
Grafter

Ok - If you're going for a BT line, the best bet is to get in touch with them first and arrange for them to activate the telephone line. 
They may also be able to give you a simultaneous privde code, which we can use to turn on broadband at the same time as the telephone line - we will need upto 8 working days notice in order to do that though.
jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Ok - If you're going for a BT line, the best bet is to get in touch with them first and arrange for them to activate the telephone line. 

The line is already active and being currently billed, hence to avoid any messing around we were thinking of just cancelling Talk Talk and then moving my PlusNet account over once the Talk Talk broadband service was clear.
I know that there will currently be a flag on the line to indicate a service is present, so am I right in assuming that once Talk Talk cancel their service and clear the flag you guys can just move my connection over?
Sorry about all the questions, never had to deal with moving a broadband service before! Just want to make sure I do the right things in the right order!
James
Grafter

Ok - Here's the fun bit.
Are TalkTalk just billing for the line rental or for the whole thing?  If it is an LLU line with TalkTalk, you will need it to be moved over to a BT line before we are able to place an order.
Give you have TT broadband on there currently, I suspect that it probably is an LLU line and that you will have to get it moved to BT.
jamessealey
Grafter

Cool, I had a feeling something like this might be an issue. I shall speak to Mark (who i'm moving in with) and find out the score with Talk Talk
on his line.
Cheers Jamesh!
adie:quote
JonJon
Grafter

Getting rid of TalkTalk was the best thing I ever did!  Cool
jamessealey
Grafter

@Jamesh
Just noticed in the member centre there is a 'moving house' page - which is great. Except that it is suggesting that it will cost me £60 to move my PN package to a new address. Is this correct?
If i'm totally honest, with the costs already involved in me moving house a £60 charge for staying faithful (ie getting my new house mate to bin off Talk Talk and then I can move in with my PN package) really isn't an option for me at the moment and I may have to reconsider other options
James
James
Grafter

Hi James,
We could arrange for a deferred contract for the house move - on other words, you wouldn't pay us the £60 house move charge (which is roughly what it costs us) unless you leave us within 18 months.
jamessealey
Grafter

No probs, 18 months seems a) a random length of time and b) a very long time!
I presume any further house moves would result in a non deferrable charge?
Surely is it not cheaper for me - yet more work for you guys - if i were to just cancel my current account and sign up for a new one?!
James
adie:quote mod:end
James
Grafter

You could do it that way.  But you would have to pay the £20 cessation charge if you cancelled your account. Plus you'd have to sign an 18 month contract when signing up for a new account.
Remember, we're coughing up some cash to help you move house and not expecting money for it if you stay with us for the 18 months.
If you were to move again within that period, you would be expected to pay the £60.
jamessealey
Grafter

So if I were to get my account moved to the new house, defer paying the £60, would I remain on the same Ts and Cs and contract terms (ie Monthly) or would I be forced onto one of the new packages and therefore an 18 month commitment?
James
James
Grafter

Same as you are currently James.
jamessealey
Grafter

Ok, that works for me  Wink
How would I go about initiating the move without having to fork out for the charge then?