cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house and want to keep existing plusnet account

GregBarlow81

Moving house and want to keep existing plusnet account

Hello all, hope you can help me here. I'm moving house in 1-2 weeks, and wish to take my plusnet account with me to the new address. Because the apartment I am moving to is brand new the phone line hasn't been activated yet.
After speaking to the staff at the housing development I have been told to activate the line will cost £130, and is done by BT. My question is, do I need to get BT to activate my line before my plusnet account can be moved?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get this sorted 😉
Greg
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving house and want to keep existing plusnet account

Are you taking your telephone number with you?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: GregBarlow81

After speaking to the staff at the housing development I have been told to activate the line will cost £130, and is done by BT. My question is, do I need to get BT to activate my line before my plusnet account can be moved?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get this sorted 😉
Greg

Yes it will cost you £130 if no line been in before its the BT rip off. They may allow you to spread the cost over 3 months. 
Last time I moved to a brand new development I had no phone at all for 3 months the exchange was a cross the road to make matters worse
puddy
GregBarlow81

I'm planning on leaving the phone number because I don't think my parents would be too pleased if I took it with me  Shocked
It does sound like a hell of a lot... I take it this charge stays the same if they're creating a new number for me?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You certainly wont be able to request the move until you know what the number is going to be. A cease will be placed on the ADSL at your parents - you have to ask for that to be the day you move out (although you could make it earlier if possible), only after that completes will Plusnet order the connection at the apartment. You will then face the standard 7-10 days wait for a new ADSL connection (hence if you can do without ADSL for a few days before you move out you should ask for an earlier cease at your parents).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GregBarlow81

Great, thanks for the info Jelv  Grin