Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and break of contract

piemmepi
Dabbler

Moving home and break of contract

Hello,

I just had a (to me) quite confusing phone call with the home moving team.

Long story short, according to the operator, I won't be able to port my existing contract (about 6-7 months remaining) because there is no phone call line at the new address (which is fine), so they were suggesting I HAVE to take out a new 24 month contract (which I don't want to do). However, they are also saying I would need to pay some money in order to end my current contract early, despite the fact Plusnet are not able to port it to the new address. Does this seem right to people?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Moving home and break of contract

@piemmepi 

There is a Stop / Sell order in place for all new landlines or account upgrades so you wouldn't be able to transfer your phone anyway.

Could you use the Address version of the following and post a screen image of the results - hiding the address first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I suspect you'll have to transfer to a SOGEA (internet only) account and if you want to keep your landline number then port the number to a VOIP provider.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@piemmepi there are usually two ways to do a home move,

1) pay the home move fee and retain the existing contract

2) take out a new contract without any move fee or ETCs on the old one

Seeing that 1) is not possible due to Openreach stop-sell I would have thought that 2) applies

Hopefully a staff member will spot this thread and advise...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

piemmepi
Dabbler

@bmc I think you have missed the point. I don't care about the landline. All I'm saying is: if PN can't transfer my current contract, why should I not be allowed to break for free?

bmc
Hero

@piemmepi 

I believe it might be in the Terms & Conditions of your contract.

Still be good to see the Checker results for the new address to see what is available from OpenReach.

Brian

piemmepi
Dabbler

Screenshot 2024-01-09 185408.png

bmc
Hero

@piemmepi 

Thanks for the information.

FTTC is available via SOGEA (internet only) at very good speeds. Unless there is no physical line at the premise I see no reason why PN can't transfer your account to the new address.

You would need a new contract for SOGEA but one for 18 months should be available. There would be some fee involved (probably).

Brian

bmc
Hero

@piemmepi 

As the phone line is of no interest to you you could speak to the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 about your options. I'm thinking about moving to SOGEA now (if time's available before the move). Still needs a new contract.

Then it should be a straight forward transfer to the new address - but I'm only speculating. COT should be able to advise.

Brian

piemmepi
Dabbler

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

Section 9.4
9.4. If we can't provide your current service(s) to your new UK address, you won't have to pay a fee to end your agreement early.

So, the customer service advisor I spoke to has told me incorrect information. Could someone from PN actually get in touch?
bmc
Hero

@piemmepi 

Potentially they are correct - they can't supply internet & phone (your current offering) at the new address. A staff member should pick up on this in due course but COT may be you're quickest option.

Due you have time to play with before the move or has it become urgent?

Brian

piemmepi
Dabbler

To be honest I don't want to get a new long term agreement, so it's either a break or seeing out the end of my contract and pay the home move fee (which doesn't seem to be an option)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@piemmepi wrote:
To be honest I don't want to get a new long term agreement

@piemmepi  if you login to the Plusnet "Member Centre" and you go to "Offers & Upgrades",  does that offer any "upgrades" from FTTC to "Fibre" without landline (SoGEA) with an option for a shorter 18 or 12 month contract ?

piemmepi
Dabbler

Only 24 months
bmc
Hero

@piemmepi wrote:
To be honest I don't want to get a new long term agreement, so it's either a break or seeing out the end of my contract and pay the home move fee (which doesn't seem to be an option)

You didn't indicate how much time you have before a decision is required.

Whether you stay with PN or go for a new ISP when you move you will likely have to sign a contract (if you want Internet). Some ISP's may offer 12 months but the general rule of thumb is the shorter the contract the higher the price.

I still believe PN will offer 18 months if you speak to them. Note that leaving PN will cancel your e-mail as well (if you use PN e-mail).

Phoning COT tomorrow is your best option. They will give you options as well as costs.

Brian

piemmepi
Dabbler

I just want PN to stick to their T&C's, nothing more.