cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from LLU to BT Wholesale - what they don't tell you

kanda
Grafter

Moving from LLU to BT Wholesale - what they don't tell you

With 10 day line shaping drawing to a close my PlusNet BT Wholesale BB connection is performing at less than a sixth of my previous LLU (O2) connection (which achieved around 3 Mbps), at peak times crawling to a near halt. Is this really the best that can be achieved on a BT Wholesale line?
Router/BT stats below
Uptime: 0 days, 3:55:00

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 570

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 17.87 / 249.68

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.5 / 57.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 6.3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 66,493

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 4

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.1 Mbps
0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed 0.29 Mbps
0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.29Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
10 REPLIES 10
kanda
Grafter

Re: Moving from LLU to BT Wholesale - what they don't tell you

Just to add BT availability checker gives the following figures;
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something is wrong
With that attenuation your speeds are low but not out of the way
However the checker indicates that your attenuation should be much lower. Your previous LLU results would confirm that
Can you connect the router to the test socket with a different filter and cable if possible and report the stats again
If there is no change then you would need to report a fault
Also can you check if there is any noise on the line when using the phone - dial 17070 option 2
Apprentice
Grafter

@ kanda
Your connection at the moment is in ADSL2 mode (up to 12Meg) whereas with O2 LLU it was probably ADSL2+ ? (up to 24Meg)
As Oldjim has suggested you'll need to connect the router to the TEST socket inside the master socket if you have that NTE5 type and get a fresh set of line stats.
Using some of the line stats you posted MrSaffron's coolweb checker shows what your line could be capable of delivering when free of any faults or wiring issues either side of the master socket:

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG4gNTcwIERuIDU3LjUgRG4gNi4zIERuIDE=#res
Obviously it's best to get line stats with the PC connected by an ethernet cable to the router as it rules out any wireless connection issues.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Note
Line stats are completely unaffected by using wireless so there is absolutely no need to switch to ethernet cable
kanda
Grafter

Apologies for late reply
(On master socket, brand new cable and filter) Speedtest.net and BT Wholesale both give 0.47 Mbps u/load, 0.35 Mbps d/load.
Router stats
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:47

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 574

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 80.94 / 249.36

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.5 / 57.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.4 / 6.5

(edited for the sake of brevity)
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 61,363

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

(BT Wholesale basic test 0.47 Mbps d/load 0.35 Mbps upload 35 ms ping)
BT Wholesale diagnostics test suggests 0.5 Mbps as max achievable speed
"Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.47 Mbps. For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps"
Upload Speed 0.34 Mbps (0 Mbps-0.45 Mbps quoted max achievable speed)
"Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is 0.45 Mbps"
Apologies for the repetition, not mine, I hasten to add.
My own Netgear router (with the Plusnet ADSL settings) delivers the following line stats;
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 487 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.0 db 33.4 db
Noise Margin 15.8 db 21.6 db
BT cabinet is in full view of house and has been worked on by BTOR very recently. Very noisy at the time they were working on it (wet at the time) though it didn't seem to trouble my then active O2 connection greatly, but equally quiet at the moment. Last time I mentioned noise on the line to BT (some while ago, years maybe) they actually said my broadband might well work OK even if the noise levels made it difficult for a normal phone call. As the Americans say, go figure. I am still being supplied by BT for my phone line till 13th December. If I have to raise a fault do I do it now or later after PN take over the line? (yes I know they're the same company).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You will need to raise a fault adding notes that your speed is well below the estimate and also well below what you had when you were LLU
Although I don''t understand why the two routers give different noise margins but this may indicate a duff router and possibly a banded profile
When you say master socket - is it the hidden socket under the removable lower section
kanda
Grafter

Yep, the master socket under the face plate, not the later filtered type. Have raised a ticket as I don't think the speed is acceptable. There is no noise on the line whatsoever, it's probably the quietest it's been since the BTOR work. Starting to suspect banding has been applied to the line - how do I get this removed? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Did you raise a ticket or start the fault checker which was what you needed to do
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, doesn't look like it's banded but the latest sync rate picked up by the DLM was 576kb/s so it'd definitely be worth raising a fault as Jim suggests.
kanda
Grafter

Sorry, I really don't 'get' the fault checker. Went through the motions of doing what I've already done, then at the end the fault checker closes the ticket automatically because my broadband is working. I know it's working, and this is probably what I'll be told when CS get back to me on my support ticket. But it could be much faster IMHO. It's probably unrealistic of me to expect to match my previous LLC broadband, but I honestly expected more than the <0.5 Mbps upload I'm currently getting.