cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BT to Plusnet

ajhj

Moving from BT to Plusnet

Has anyone had problems moving the broadband from BT to Plusnet. I am in a situation at the moment where Plusnet say they done everything correctly and BT say they have not ,so I am now faced with a bill from BT and a cancellation fee.The broadband was cut off by BT and Plusnet connected it the next day
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving from BT to Plusnet

Did you cancel your service with BT or did you just give Plusnet your MAC and leave them to handle it all?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ajhj

Hi jelv,
I obtained a MAC code from BT and gave it to Plusnet, they used that to transfer the connection with BT wholesale on 4/10/2012 then bt cut me off 11/10/2012 and Plusnet connected me to broadband on the12/10/2012.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That sounds as if BT have messed up because for a BT to Plusnet migration using a MAC the downtime should be measured in minutes - when the BT stops working plug in the Plusnet router and within 15 minutes or so the Plusnet should work. The only thing I can think of is that the exchange was switched a day before Plusnet were expecting. What was the date Plusnet gave you for the migration?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ajhj

Hi Jelv,
Plusnet said all along that I would be connected to their broadband on the 12/10/2012 and this did happen
James
Grafter

Pretty certain this is BT - I've seen a few similar cases recently.
Can you visit http://bt.com and raise an online complaint on their website.  If you need any confirmation of order numbers and completion dates, we'll be more than happy to supply these for you.
ajhj

Hi James,
I have tried complaints, the option team, live chat but with no satisfaction, so if you can give me all the details of the transfer it may be of some help to convince them to look into it more deeply.
James
Grafter

Thanks - Did you try raising a written complaint via their complaints procedure on the web site?
scubasteve
Dabbler

I think the same thing happened to me. My Plusnet broadband was scheduled to go live on the 20/11/2012(which it did) but I had no broadband for the whole of the previous day(19/11/2012) I did not pursue it with BT, but can only assume that they were at fault.
Imere

You are not alone, I firmly believe that BT actually like stories like yours because it stops fragile people from moving.
I am hopefully near the end of exactly the same saga, I have the promise by e-mail.
Do NOT waste hours on the phone, they will ignore you, but more importantly you will have no record of the call

You must have given due notice of cancellation and provided a MAC ID,
Note they may say you didn't, but without a MAC ID nothing can have moved, so that is logically impossible.
First complain by phone, that will get you nowhere but you must do it, advise them you are cancelling the direct debit
Second, immediately cancel your direct debit, you will get a nasty letter soon, ignore it like they are ignoring you. 
Third use their chat service, ask for escalation, and get the transcript sent to you by e-mail.
Make sure you have said that you phoned previously, you now have a record of what has happened and what has been said.
If the escalation works thats good, assuming it doesn't, as soon as you realise they are not fixing it
DON't phone  or chat any  more.

The only thing that then works is a written formal complaint of no more than one page.
Ideally sent to customer service by recorded delivery, cost £1.50.
I  sent mine on the thursday after getting the bill Tuesday when the promised contact was not made Wednesday
Alternatively you can send it to christopher.heaney@bt.com;  he is the manager in charge of complaints.
but a letter is better.

Ensure that you run a log of your interactions with BT, tell BT the total time wasted and ask for compensation, say £10 per hour.
You will get something, not at first asking, and not a lot but enough to make you feel you have won.
The letter will resolve the problem, I guarantee, not quickly but it will.
Finally be prepared to go to the regulator if you don't get an acceptable compensation offer , this is not difficult and will certainly obtain a better offer.