cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving back from digital region

stuartsharp
Grafter

Moving back from digital region

I have a Plusnet provided line with a digital region FTTC connection. My ISP is Origin, who have plans in place to migrate customers over to the BT wholesale fibre network, since the DR network is closing down.
Although I'm happy with Origin, now that there is no fibre provider available other than BT, I'm interested in coming back to PN as an ISP because of the saving I could make on the cost of BT sport. The problem is that, with an existing service on my line and no possibility of getting a compatible MAC code, I face being without an internet service for quite some time.
Is there anyone at PN who knows a way around this issue and would be willing to help me out with the switch? I believe that others have successfully moved off DR without an outage by ordering a new line along with the broadband connection, but I also believe that this method entails a change of phone number, which I'd rather avoid if possible.
2 REPLIES 2
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Moving back from digital region

Get a 2nd line with new number and Plusnet service, then when the Origin service finishes, port the number across to the new line, then cease the old one.
It's a crazy idea, but it just might work...  Cool
stuartsharp
Grafter

Re: Moving back from digital region

Quote from: Jaggies
Get a 2nd line with new number and Plusnet service, then when the Origin service finishes, port the number across to the new line, then cease the old one.
It's a crazy idea, but it just might work...  Cool

Thanks for the idea, but to have two working lines at once would obviously require new wiring to be installed in my home and presumably I would have to foot the bill for that. The others who have done this before have ordered a new line but had the BTOR engineer disconnect their old one when he came to do the install, so nothing physically changes with the domestic wiring but it becomes connected to a different number.
I understand there's a charge to install a new line, even if it's just to swap the connection in the cabinet, but I'm certain BT would waive that charge if they got a new broadband customer out of it. Not sure if PN would do the same.