cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Plusnet service to another line (same premises)

selector
Dabbler

Moving Plusnet service to another line (same premises)

Hi,
I have Plusnet home phone + broadband on one line and I want to get a new line installed and move the broadband service to that. I contacted CS and they said Plusnet can provision a new line with broadband but it will be a new account so I will lose my current username (email etc) which I don't want. I want to keep my existing username.
I'm not too fussed if the new line is with BT or not as long as I have my Plusnet broadband moved over. I'm conscious the Home Phone could be the sticking point, so do I need to move that back to BT first on my existing line to remove it from the equation?
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving Plusnet service to another line (same premises)

What you are asking for does not sound unreasonable but you need to know that moving broadband from one line to another is treated exactly the same as a move move which you either have to pay for up front or will need you to commit to stay for a year for the cost to be written off (you can't do the latter if you have moved your broadband within the last year).
If you could explain why you need the broadband moved over to the new line we might be able to suggest the best way to deal with this (the basic issue is that Plusnet don't allow for people having two phone lines associated with a single broadband account). For example could your second line be a VoIP number (you can get a geographical number for PN VoIP).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
selector
Dabbler

Hi Jelv,
Thanks for the quick response.
The reason for switching lines is I am having serious speed issues. The problem is that line the broadband is connected to has some internal extensions coming off it which were installed when we had some building work. My speed is 1.5Mbps when the BT checker says I should get around 5Mbps. As all the cabling is plastered over, BT are not any help as they say its the internal wiring which they are not responsible for and they maybe right. So my proposed solution is to have a new dedicated line just for broadband - that way if there are any issues it will be purely with BT/Plusnet.
Is this the best solution?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quite possibly not the best way forward.
Is the master socket one with a removable lower half and a test socket inside? If so have you tried plugging the router in to the test socket (you'd need to be looking at the sync speed not the result of a speed test).
Can you also post the stats reported by your router (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) and the results from a BT speedtest.
selector
Dabbler

Here are the router stats:

Admittedly, I am getting a 2.3Mbps connection but not near to the 5Mbps predicted by the BT ADSL checker.
Here's a result from Speedtest.net

In terms of BT boxes and phone lines, we have 2 lines at our house. The primary (first line) does NOT have broadband on it and has a NTE5 box. For the second line with the broadband on it the master socket is located in another room but is not an NTE5, looks like a extension box so I don't know how BT wired it in. This was installed by BT. The router is plugged into this socket (provided by BT), there is another extension for this line in the house that was added later by builders.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Speedtest.net doesn't tell us what we want - it must be the BT speedtest which most importantly tells you your current IP profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just been looking at your stats. For an attenuation of 38.5 your sync speed looks very low even allowing for you noise margin being up at 12. Have you tried a different router and /or filter (you would need to look at the router stats as the results of speed tests take a few days to improve after making changes)?
selector
Dabbler

Here are the results of the BT Speedtest

I have tried different filters as I went and bought some special Fujitsu branded ones a while back. I like all the advanced features my Vigor offers so I am not keen to replace it but if I can avoid it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Well that shows that you have a problem straight off! (it's a problem at the exchange not anything at your end)
Your IP Profile cannot be faster than your current sync speed! If you haven't already raised a sped fault using https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults you need to do so.
I'm going to suggest to the moderators that this topic is moved to the Broadband & Routers forum as I suggest getting to the bottom of your current problems should be the first move.
selector
Dabbler

Thanks - can you clarify? My down speed is 2336000 and my IP profile is 2000 so is that right as my IP profile is NOT faster than my current sync speed?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The BT speed test says your sync is 1664 - something is badly wrong!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Moved as suggested as something is badly adrift
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This is reminiscent of some posts we saw a bit back where BT had managed to cross link two different users - those gave really screwy results on speed tests I think.
selector
Dabbler

Jelv,
Just wanted to reach out to say thanks for your advice. I eventually had BT round and they replaced the front plate and now I am synching around 6MB so a great result.