cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home questions

chesterfield
Grafter

Moving Home questions

Hi folks,  Im hoping someone can help me....
Im about to move home this week (but stil dont know the exact day), and I wish to have broadband at my new home.
The new home is on a different exchange and I will be taking over the number assigned to the house presently.
I do not know if broadband is even active on the new number.
I am currently on a legacy product (BB PAYG).
My understanding is that as soon as I know the day I will be moving in, I can advise PN that I wish to move my broadband, but as I will be moving to another number there will be a charge of £38.85 (something like that anyway).
Will I also have to change product onto one which is active now rather than continue with my legacy one? Will I have to sign up for another 12month contract?
Is there any extra charge if the phone number I am transfering to is not already ADSL activated?
Any answers or help much appreciated Smiley
Regards,
Chris.
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Moving Home questions

Hi Chris,
If you're happy staying with us for another year, we can defer the cost of the house move (£60 = £40 activation plus £20 cease).
It's actually easier if there is no ADSL on the phoneline, but please let us know as soon as the line is in your name and we can get things moving.
You won't have to change your product.
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi - you say as soon as the line is in my name - does this involve anything other than me knowing that the solicitor has passed my money to the other side, or do BT have to change the name on the account etc?
Im happy to pay up front rather than defer, no issues with that, I guessed there would be an activation fee, though it would suprise me if the family we are buying from didnt already have broadband, does this complicate matters?  Can I pass someone the telephone number and them have a little check of the existing situation and outline what I need to do.
Currently poking the solicitor for an exact day this week as I need to get insurances and other items sorted Grin
James
Grafter

Basically once the telephone line is yours.  Reason I say this is if we were to place an order for the broadband service now and then you changed your name on the bill, the broadband would be turned off.
You could get them to migrate the service into Plusnet - but ideally we'd need the line ceased and place a new provide order as again, changing the name on the bill to yours, would probably cease the broadband service.
It's a bit confusing 😕
chesterfield
Grafter

Actually in addition to the above, I may have misunderstood "defer" does that mean that if I agree to stay on my existing product for a minimum 12 months, the costs of moving are swallowed up by PN and only levied to me if I cancel within the next 12 months?  If so Ill have some of that please.
So - sounds like the order is:
1. once we know the funds have transfered is to phone BT and tell them to get the line in our name Smiley
2. tell plusnet our new number and ask them to transfer my broadband.
3. find something other than online gaming to keep me busy for a week or so.  (shouldnt be too dificult given the moving and unpacking that will need doing  Grin )
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: chesterfield
I may have misunderstood "defer" does that mean that if I agree to stay on my existing product for a minimum 12 months, the costs of moving are swallowed up by PN and only levied to me if I cancel within the next 12 months?

No misunderstandings there. That's exactly what it means Smiley
Sounds like your plan of action is pretty good to me.
chesterfield
Grafter

It would appear that the solicitors definition of "some time next week" actually means "Monday the week after"  Angry
chesterfield
Grafter

Ive now got the telephone line sorted via BT and have my new number.
Ive also sorted it with PN over the phone on moving my broadband,  all very painless and great service Smiley  Look forward to having broadband moved in a week or so.  Though Im sure Ill have plenty to keep me busy if its delayed by a short while  Grin
The service above is in stark contrast to Sky - who have officially THE worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune to try and use, ever.  And in my job I speak to customer services for Npower, Eon, EDF, and even British Gas - who all shine like holy beacons of success when compared to the utter shower of S**t that Sky have the audacity to call "customer services".
chesterfield
Grafter

Woo hoo!
Bt line activated yesterday, I updated the ticket to let PN know, only to find the already knew and had already started the bb activation process for me -brilliant!
Even better I plug my router in later that evening and it synchronises!
Now showing 8128 kb downstream at 7.7db, I know my router is stable until around 5db, so it looks like a massive jump up from my previous 3mb.  I'm well chuffed Smiley
just got to wait for bt to do it's profiling I think as although my sync is near 8mb, the pn ip profile is set at 3000 and throughput is nearer 0.5mb.  I guess a couple of days and the profile will start to shift?
Happy days and thanks to pn for great support.  I can play my xbox online again.  Just as soon as I remember which box I packed it in lol.
James
Grafter

Superb - Early activation do happen, one of my lines was done in 24 hours once!
Glad to have you back in the broadband world again Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

Thanks James - I couldnt believe the router sync'd up when I plugged it in when I got gome.  Cheesy
Also I was advised by PN that the bt estimate for my line was 5mb, which was nice as I only had 3/3.5 at the last house.  So I was looking forward to the extra speed - when I saw it was synchronising at 8128 It put a smile on my face throughout the unpacking of boxes.
Just looking forward to the point when BT release the BRAS from its present 2000 and I can see just how much faster the 8128 is than the 3800 I had before.  SOmething tells me this may be an expensive payg month for me  Grin
James
Grafter

I'd definitely suggest having a look at Pro - We've just increase the usage allowance, so for an extra fiver, you'd get another 15GB usage, all prioritised the same as PAYG.
chesterfield
Grafter

Ill have to see how it goes - the new home will probably keep me busy for a while, so I may not use my broadband as much.  Ill probably just have an expensive month this month doing the "kid in a sweet shop" impression with my new speed (hopefully)  Grin
chesterfield
Grafter

Come on BRAS update damn thee, update!  A reboot when I got home and still sync'd at 8128...  oh please tell me BRAS and PN IP Profile can update at weekends...  Huh
chesterfield
Grafter

Booo - get home from an evening meal out and find the snr at 4.3.  The router (netgear DG834GT) doesnt seem to wor below 5, so a rebot ad the sync has dropped to 7584.  So much for my 8128 - booo.  Still, even at 7584 I should see an IP profile of 6500 which is more than double my previous 3000, so I cant complain.
Plus I dont know if I have it connected to the master socket.  The cable comes across to the side of the houe from the pole, and then from a small grey box it splits off to various points on the house - kitchen, lounge, hall, bedroom and study.
Any ideas what this grey box is, and how I would identify the best socket to plug the router into?  Is it just  case of trial and error?