cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to ADSL2 - How Long For IP Profile To Increase?

bobboulby
Grafter

Moved to ADSL2 - How Long For IP Profile To Increase?

Sorry,it’s probably somewhere in this forum but I’ve searched a number of threads and I can find a definitive answer.
I was moved on to ADSL2 about 24 hours ago. My sync speed has been steady at 17,326 but my IP Profile is still 7,150. How long will it be before the IP profile is updated and I can benefit from the increased speed?
For info, the BT Speed Test gives:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6555 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17326 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 439 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Thanks - Bob
17 REPLIES 17
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Moved to ADSL2 - How Long For IP Profile To Increase?

I think I've answered my own question. James's post here http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/02/broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose/ seems to suggest that it takes 3 days:
... the IP Profile is not updated on a real time basis. BT take your lowest downstream synchronisation speed over a three day period and then assign the appropriate IP Profile.
I guess I'll just have to be patient !!!
Bob
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bob, we use a process called modified FTR when moving a customer from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ which means the training in period is reduced. The quote simplifies DLM as this is a very complicated system whose inner workings are not publicly available but a more stable line will train quicker than one encountering slight instability.
To achieve a 17mbps sync you must have a pretty good line so I would expect a better profile to be assigned within 24-48 hours but BT would insist on waiting for the full 10 day training in period for any fault to be reported.
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks Ben, I'll take a look tomorrow. Hopefully I won't need to raise any faults !
Bob.
bobboulby
Grafter

IP Profile is still 7,150 this morning, sync speed is still 17,326.
Just to clarify the 10 day fault rule. Does this mean that if my IP Profile remains at 7,150, we won’t be able to do anything about it until 10 days have elapsed?
Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Ho Bob,
Sounds like your profile might be 'stuck'. I'm pretty sure mine increased almost immediately when I got moved to ADSL2+. My synch went from 8Mb to about 14Mb. I noticed one morning that my Linux updates seemed to be going a bit quick, about 1.2MB/Sec, and thought, 'hang-on how's that possible on an 8Mb connection?'. I looked at my router logs and it had resynched the previous day at 14.5Mb!!! and my IP Profile was now 12Mb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobboulby
Grafter

Hi MisterW
Not quite so seamless for me. I was at home on Tuesday (when the switch happened) and noticed that my VOIP phone had gone off-line. Further investigation revealed that I’d completely lost my broadband. Support suggested turning off my router for a couple of hours and when I switch it back on in the evening I had a 17,326 sync but my IP profile has been 7,150 ever since.
It’s not an issue, (I’m still getting all the speed I need), but I’m the type of person who like to understand what’s going on and what to expect  Roll_eyes
Bob
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: bobboulby
Does this mean that if my IP Profile remains at 7,150, we won’t be able to do anything about it until 10 days have elapsed?

We can perform an SNR reset whenever we want, but we wouldn't be able to raise a fault in the first 10 days. I'd say give it a solid 3 days (sync) and reboot, if no joy just let us know and we'll perform the reset.
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks Ben I’ll have another look tomorrow. As I said above it’s not actually causing me any problems.
Just for my own understanding what does a SNR ratio reset do? I’ve currently got a downstream SNR of 6db and I wouldn’t really like it to go any lower than this. I’d much rather have a stable connection then trying to squeeze the last bit of speed out of it.
Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Bob,
After the switch, my connection retrained a few times in the first 2/3 days to try and establish a stable speed. Since yours appears to be quite stable, I wonder if a 'delta' report ( when the sync speed changes ) has somehow gone missing on BT's systems and it hasn't seen the change to 17M.
Don't worry though, if Ben's on the case he'll sort it out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grudkin
Grafter

I had the same problem last week! Roll_eyes
Jojo gave it a good  kicking though. Wink
Somebody give this PN profile a kick for the poor guy! Crazy
Jojo! are you wearing your steel toecaps today? Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: grudkin
Jojo! are you wearing your steel toecaps today? Grin

She only wears those when on an 'educating' trip to CSC Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
grudkin
Grafter

@Strat, I think You're getting confused with the Cricket Bat! Cheesy
I even heard Jojo drives to work in a Challenger Tank! Wink
Some even say that Jojo dated the Stigg at school! Cheesy
Trevor
Grafter

Bob,
FWIW, I was switched to ADSL2+ on Monday and my profile seems to have been lifted today, i.e. it took pretty well the full 72hrs. (I say 'seems' to have been lifted because the BT Speedtester, having worked consistently over the last two days to confirm the profile was unchanged, now seems to have gone on the blink again)
Hopefully, you will see an uplift in the next 24hrs.
Trevor
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: bobboulby
Just for my own understanding what does a SNR ratio reset do?

It returns DLM to it's default settings (6dB downstream, etc.) and forces it to recalculate target SNR margins and various other profiles. One of the uses (as may be required in your case) is to bring it out of a 'stuck' state and allow profiles to move automatically.