cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move master socket

oliviaeb113

Move master socket

Hi, 

Our master socket is in a very inconvenient place, close to the floor in the dining room making the hub hard to position. 

I know that Openreach have to move the socket for a fee, which is fine. How do I go about arranging this, and does the wiring get chased into the wall or just fed around externally to the new location?

Thanks,

Olivia

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Move master socket

@oliviaeb113 You will need to contact Plusnet to arrange this and the wiring is not chased into the wall. IIRC, there is a £160.00 (+VAT?) charge for this.

John
oliviaeb113

Cool, thanks for your reply. Sounds like there's no ideal option then in terms of end result!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

The engineer could drill another hole in the wall nearer to where you want the master socket, then re-cable the line....

oliviaeb113

Ah okay, so there's not just additional visible wiring internally then? Sorry am not very clued up on this stuff!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Where does the line enter your house, and where do you want the new socket to be located? The engineer can't alter where the line enters your house.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think Openreach will do quite a bit to meet what you need (within reason) when moving the socket.  I'm not sure that channeling out walls would be included in that though.  They would probably use trunking that you've already put in place for them though.  I think there is the option for them to charge by the amount of time (or additional time) if you wanted something more complicated doing with it.

I'm sure Plusnet will be able to advise more on the options if you give them a call.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Hi @oliviaeb113 - If you want me to give you a call to get this arranged, just give me a shout. The payment for the move would need to be taken at the same time we book the appointment. 

It also sometimes worth looking into an electrician to complete the work as they can be cheaper but keep in mind that if anything did go wrong where it affects the service, you'd be liable for this. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team