cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Modem - What Do I Need Please?

daz1107
Grafter

Move Modem - What Do I Need Please?

I'm looking to move my router as the wifi signal from the supplied one is hopeless.  Could someone tell me please what type of extension (or just longer) cable I would need to move the 2 routers I have on my fibre connection?  I know when I ordered the fibre, I could have requested an extension pack, but didn't realise I would need one.
I think if I can put it in the middle of the living room, rather than at the very edge, I might have a fighting chance of it actually working upstairs.
I'm still looking for a different router altogether....but that's on a different forum post!!
Many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Move Modem - What Do I Need Please?

If you want to move both of them you can use a CAT5e cable plugged into the master socket / VDSL faceplate and a CAT5e coupler at the other end. The modem has a RJ11 connector on the end but this will plug into an RJ45 socket anyway.
I did a similar thing with mine but used wall mounted sockets to make things a bit neater looking.
daz1107
Grafter

Brilliant!!  Thank you very much
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Unless you really want/need to move the modem, eg.for visibilty of the lights, or are you using both ports on it, then just use Dom's solution for the Router only.
picbits
Rising Star

Yup - you can use my solution with just the CAT5 cable (no coupler needed) to move the router away from the modem or if you want to move both then you can use the coupler.
To move just the router, leave the modem where it is, CAT5 cable into the modem, run this to where you want the router then plug the other end into the router.
To move both, CAT5 into the master socket, coupler on the other end, modem into the coupler then router onto the modem.
Moving just the router is preferred as you'll get the best speed out of your connection if your modem is as close to the phone socket as possible.
daz1107
Grafter

Sorry for the delay, but thanks very much for this advice.
I'm going to order a 5m cat5 ethernet cable to just move the router; i'll leave the modem where it is (about 5 feet from the master socket).  Would I gain anything by ordering a cat6 cable?  I see they have them on ebay, but i'm not sure what the difference is.
I hadn't thought about just moving the router on it's own, but it makes absolute sense to do that. 
picbits
Rising Star

CAT6 will support faster data rates for some devices but you will not notice the difference if you use it modem -> router.
daz1107
Grafter

Brilliant!! Off to ebay now...........