cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most web sites ok, some not opening normally, but available by vpn?

michaelrmgreen
Dabbler

Most web sites ok, some not opening normally, but available by vpn?

Most web sites work normally, but some don't open, the connection eventually goes to http://failed.billing.plus.net/apps/payment/failed. The browser error is in the form of a time out error rather than a site not found error. I know these sites are up because one of the 'Is my site down' sites shows them as up and I can access the sites using a vpn. Can someone suggest how I can diagnose this problem?

example:

bbc.co.uk

barbarasummers.net

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Most web sites ok, some not opening normally, but available by vpn?

Which router are you using?

If TG582n are you using Win10?

If yes to both, when you experience these issues, try pinging the failing URL and post here the IP address returned by ping.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @michaelrmgreen, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your connection woes.

The message that you're seeing is usually seen when there is an outstanding balance on the account, although you should be able to click 'acknowledge and continue browsing' at the bottom of the page.

Have you had a chance to review the latest bill as of yet?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@michaelrmgreen 

When you say...

the connection eventually goes to http://failed.billing.plus.net/apps/payment/failed.

Do you mean that page actually loads, or is it that page which times out?

Do you have active payment details (a DD or card details) recorded on the account?

Are you using safe guarding?

Do you have a fixed IP address?

Have you encountered the failed billing situation in a previous month … and had the restriction removed?

@OskarPapa 

you should be able to click 'acknowledge and continue browsing' at the bottom of the page

Only if the page actually loads (there have been a few reports of that page timing out and at least one refused a connection) … and even after that there have been reports of there being no continue browsing option.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

michaelrmgreen
Dabbler

Router = F2704N

OS = Linux Mint XFCE 64

ping results = 100% packet loss, both in the Plusnet network and elsewhere.

The 

http://failed.billing.plus.net/apps/payment/failed.

page never opens, I get a time out message. I do have funtional payment arrangements, although I had a problem in the first month but that was resolved.

No, I'm not using Safe Guarding as far as I know (How to check?).

As far as I know I have a dynamic ip address.

Most sites seem to work ok now including bbc.co.uk, although, ironically, community.plus.net is very slow, but barbarasummers.net is still not available.

In Firefox the browsers stops at failed.billing... with a time out message. In Opera I get an ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error

barbarasummers.net works normally via VPN, where I work and at assorted free WiFi venues.

Can anyone suggest a way to investigate what is going on? Thanks.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @michaelrmgreen.

I can't divulge precise billing information via the forum but can confirm that it does appear to be the 'failed billing' restriction that keeps reapplying to the account. This would usually keep applying if there were an outstanding balance, for example.

I've just sent you a ticket with further information here.

Please let me know via this thread if you respond to the ticket so that I can take any further action necessary on the account.

@Townman - spot on, thanks for the assist.