cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most sites won't load

spleenharvester
Dabbler

Most sites won't load

I have a new connection, switched from the last tenants' BT line (which worked fine). Using the newer Sagemcom router. Went live on 29th June, not plugged in until 1st July due to being in hospital.
A few websites (seemingly the main ones, youtube, facebook etc) work brilliantly, faster loading than the BT connection and no dropouts or anything.
The problem is that most websites just won't, full stop. Chrome gives "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". Worth noting I can still ping these, just not browse them. Possibly a DNS issue? Tried:
-Different PCs
-WiFi as opposed to ethernet
-Restarting router and disconnecting/reconnecting in the control panel
-Using google DNS as opposed to the auto setting
Nothing has had any effect. Additionally, a tracert command to the site shows lots of timeouts in intermediate hops at the ISP end before pinging the final hop.
Is this normal for a new connection? I can't find any note of this happening anywhere?
4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Most sites won't load

I doubt it's a DNS issue if you've used Googles DNS and you've had the same issue.
Can you try a reset of the router? I've made some remote changes which may help.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Splennharvester,
A warm welcome to the forums.
What firewall / AV are you using?  I have recently seen similar issues using Norton AV/firewall, which all went away when I switched off Norton firewall and subsequently uninstalled it and installed something more fit for purpose.  That said the problem returned a few days later ... along with Norton, the replacement product having vanished....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spleenharvester
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
I doubt it's a DNS issue if you've used Googles DNS and you've had the same issue.
Can you try a reset of the router? I've made some remote changes which may help.

Got back to my flat and everything is working beautifully now. Thankyou!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear things are better.
Let us know if you have any further issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team