cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most engineers ever involved? DSL speed issues progressed to line disconnection - Still not solved!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Most engineers ever involved? DSL speed issues progressed to line disconnection - Still not solv

I've just heard back from our suppliers. In addition to the latest response below...

We would need this to be checked with open reach and at this point of time they are closed for the day we will check with them during the working hours and keep you updated.

...they didn't send us the full last response from the DSO. Here's the rest of it:

I know that this is a long duration fault but I hope you can appreciate the problems which are encountered when dealing with third party interference on lines.
On Wednesday, they're visiting again to try to route the drop wire another way to further prove the source. We would like the joint meet to take place then, however this is in no way a guarantee and we need to see if this is possible.

I'll be in touch with you on Thursday as I review the work on Wednesday and get the latest for you.

It looks like this is related to the work you're aware of which happened today. 

We're to expect a further update tomorrow once our suppliers have chased this up with Openreach.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Most engineers ever involved? DSL speed issues progressed to line disconnection - Still not solv

This morning our suppliers "sent an email to the DSO team to send out engineer at the earliest to fix the issue. Once I will receive any update, I will keep you posted."

I'll update you when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This update is a long one...

DSO team informed that "The engineers did reconnect the dropwire yesterday. This was nothing to do with engineer work though and had been caused by a third party. It's thought that a digger or tractor had inadvertently pulled the wire down before the engineers attended.

Unfortunately, the Power company did not attend, and it's become apparent that there may be some issues getting them to cooperate with us for the fault which has been proved to their equipment. The coach yesterday spent time speaking with the customer, and we have repeatedly attempted to contact the power company yesterday and today, so far without success.

The plan now is to continue to try to reach them to work together on this, but also it's been decided that if we have no success, on Monday the customer will be given contact details for the power company contact, and will try themselves, also raising an incident with them as a customer, which will then need to be dealt with.

The customer is happy to assist here if necessary, although we are trying to avoid reaching this point.

I'm speaking with the coach on Monday and will update you before 16:30.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

In my experience direct contact with the power company is desirable and productive. In my circumstances the power company could not find any record of BT’s attempts to engage. I hope your experience will be more positive.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Some energy suppliers offer a telephone and BB service so the customer could always pretend that he was interested in switching to them but needs to make sure he will be getting good BB speed before making a decision.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I assumed it would be the local electricity distribution network rather than whoever you pay your electricity bill to.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

When we have a problem with our supply, the vans that attend are branded with our supplier's logo, likewise when new cabling was laid under the pavements a couple of years ago.

Dibblah
Rising Star

I'm going to regret asking this, but can you instruct the removal of the banding from the line?

This is to assist BTOR in their troubleshooting. They believe they have a joint meet organised tomorrow at the problem pole pig.

Cheers,

Allan.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

*twitches*

I've put it through now. Fingers crossed!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dibblah
Rising Star

It was rather atrocious when it was switched, but I've increased the SNRM offset to +5 (highest it will go locally) and it seems stable.

Hopefully BTOR will be here soon.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

Allan.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi Allan,

I'm glad to hear that it's looking a bit more stable now you've increased the SNRM.

Hopefully the planned joint meet will take place today - we should receive an update on this by tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Dibblah
Rising Star

Well, that's interesting. The BTOR van was apparently down at the bottom of the track today. The majority of the day, I left the SNR margin offset to +5 - but tonight I tried setting it back slowly to 0. Still very few errors. Also rather interesting - the fencer noise on the line has disappeared. This suggests strongly to me that we've been [-Censored-]ing around for 2 weeks trying to get SEN to admit to a fault which was not theirs.

Even after I explicitly asked "have you asked for the fencer at the bottom of the track to be turned off". I suspect there was miscommunication between the BTOR engineers (one asked ME to turn a fencer off, which is a different one to the one they quite closely tracked the source to)

Argh. Well, I'm sure we will have an update tomorrow. Hopefully it's good news and it was in-fact SEN at fault.

errors-0.png

Dibblah
Rising Star

Nope. CRC errors peaked around midnight and DLM brought the line back down to 1.1Mbits/s. Increasing the SNRM offset, since I'm away from home (and now hope) again.

errors-0.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As I've not heard back since our suppliers asked us for you to contact the engineers, I've chased this up now and I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dibblah
Rising Star

I thought DLM didn't do this - but would it be possible to confirm that a banding has once again been applied to the line?