cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More speed issues

TomP
Grafter

More speed issues

Hi there, got put told on the 25th of September I would be going onto IPStream Max as my connection was only around 400kb/s for downloads.
After 13 days i'm still receiving similar results.
Any ideas? I'm paying the top rate for a fairly slow service.
Maidenhead

London
23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: More speed issues

Hi there,
This is basically down to how BT profile lines and the fact that you are a long way from the exchange.
After checking your line, I can see that your router or modem is connecting with the exchange at 864Kbps.  This is primarily down to the length of your line.  You're having your speed profiled by 750Kbps by BT and 500Kbps by ourselves (I've just changed this to 1000Kbps so that you can eek a little more out of your line following a reboot).
Having said all of that, you should be able to get marginally improved speeds, even though your line is a long one.  I'd strongly recommend ensuring that you try changing your microfilter over and also to ensure that you are connecting via your master socket.  this will ensure that you get the best possible throughput.
There's also a link to a speed faults guide I wrote in my signature, which may be of some interest.  I hope this helps in your quest for faster speeds.
TomP
Grafter

I'm living in a mess on an RAF base, not sure if this makes a difference to it being my 'master socket'? I only have one socket!
When having numerous problems with the line itself (Telephone wise) the BT engineer commented that my line wasn't going to the exchange he expected (Near the main gate of the camp) but was going off to a local town around 10 miles away. Will this make a difference?
Thanks for the help, I'll get reading that lengthy trouble shooting guide!
James
Grafter

It's far from the answer that you want to hear, but the difference that it was make will be in the region of 7Mbps Sad
TomP
Grafter

If they use the exchange near base?
Well, if you can give me the BT number I should try first (I'll get redirected all over the place) and I'll get my shouty voice ready!
James
Grafter

Tom,
Basically ADSL is distance sensitive.  The further you are from the exchange, the weaker the signal quality, so if you had been connected to the exchange right next to you, your speeds would be far better than they currently are.
You could start with phoning BT on 150 as they installed your line, but we may need to go down the line of raising a fault with BT Wholesale and in all honesty, I don't fancy your chances, but I'll do my best!
TomP
Grafter

Go for it! I'll try badgering them, like i said, the engineer who came said my line was supposed to be to the exchange right here. Not the one miles away.
I'll get onto them.
TomP
Grafter

After having a chat on a few other forums a few people have commented on how BT are required to let yourselves know how far my phone line is away from the exchange. Therefore you would know what sort of speeds to expect. Wouldn't it be right to tell the customer then that they may experience very low speeds and confirm if they wanted to go ahead?
Also, another post mentions 'ghost packets', not sure if they mean anything but would like to know if its something that has been looked into.
Tom
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

The problem is, BT don't really know how far you are away from the exchange either AFAIK. The best you can get is an as-the-crow-flies estimate and work with that.
I don't know how you mean ghost packets - is it some sort of term for cross talk? Can't say I've heard of that one before though.
TomP
Grafter

It was mentioned by a Sky Broadband user, they said (And this only happened once) they managed to get excellent customer service and they told them that they had these ghost packets. Between Sky and BT he ended up going from 1/2 meg connection to 8 meg.
As for the exchange, i'm guessing no one has heard of changing exchanges then?
TomP
Grafter

According to Samknows.com after entering my phone number...
3.28km away
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Wallingford telephone exchange.
ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 2Mbps or greater ADSL connection.
Standard ADSL RAG results:
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 256Kbps ADSL
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEC

[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] = Green, obviously meaning Good to Go
James
Grafter

Hi Tom,
That figure will be as the crow flies, rather than the actual distance of the cabling.
I have heard of cases where people have had their telephone line rerouted to a different exchange, but it is very rare and it would take quite a battle.  Why BT Retail would have done that in the first place really does make very little sense.
TomP
Grafter

Am I right in saying a cable connection would be quicker than ADSL in this situation?
James
Grafter

I don't know much about cable I'm afraid.  I've worked in the ADSL industry since 2002 Smiley
I imagine potentially so, but I'm not sure if there are also distance limitations and obviously it would depend if cable were available in your area.
TomP
Grafter

Don't suppose you know much about LLU and if that would be quicker do you?  Huh