Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Unexpected Engineer Charges

FIXED
ed_carter

More Unexpected Engineer Charges

Hi

I see that there are a few people complaining about openreach engineer charges, but my experience is different and I wonder if anyone has any insights or advice?

Our new broadband line was seemingly connecting, but we had no upstream access and the router would shortly go from blue/ok back to the blinking orange/fault state.

We had no idea what the problem was, and nobody at CS could help at all, so we booked an engineer to look. He fiddled about and replaced our master socket as he obviously felt like he had to do something but there was no fault with the line. He left without resolving the problem and advised us to wait a couple of hours as there might be an issue at the exchange... ie he had no idea either.

After more googling and rummaging around the back end of this forum (thanks for the help) - it turns out that the "auto configuration" option in the plusnet portal was sending the WRONG credentials to the router. We'd reset, turn it on, connect, enter username and password and get a momentary connection, but then the remote config would wipe out our account signi details and the line would just drop again. "Auto configuration" is ON by default, so until we went into our user account and switched it off, our broadband was screwed.

This was a fault with plusnet, their setup of the account and details, and - because it was set up as default - nothing that we did. I freely admit that there was nothing wrong with the hardware or line, but I also refuse to accept that it was our fault. Customer service could not fix it when we reported it, so we were left with no option but to try to see if an engineer visit could solve it.

Should we really be expected to pay for an engineer visit in these circumstances? Has anyone else been stiffed by customer services not understanding their own product like this?

thanks

ed

2 REPLIES 2
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: More Unexpected Engineer Charges

Fix

Hi @ed_carter

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've raised a ticket in response to your query here

If you need any further info, just give me a shout.

Best Wishes,

Dave

ed_carter

Re: More Unexpected Engineer Charges

Just a quick note to publicly thank the Customer Services Team who leapt to our rescue. An unfair contractual obligation swiftly resolved.

Thanks everyone! My faith in plusnet (otherwise an excellent service, I have 2x broadband and a mobile package with them) restored.