cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Speed SDSL or ADSL2+

TonyOCL
Grafter

More Speed SDSL or ADSL2+

Can we get more details on when we should expect to see a greater than "up to 8meg" service?
Also the upload speed hasn't increased since ADSL was introducted.
With more and more content coming available online and also wanting to use things like SlingBox - the current speed limits are very constraining.
My kids want me to go to someone like Be to get the up to 24meg but have been with plusnet up to 8 years and would like Plusnet to make this available.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: More Speed SDSL or ADSL2+

Hi Tony,
ADSL was introduced with an upstream sync rate of 288Kbps.  With IPStream Max, this is 448Kbps and 832Kbps on IPStream Max Premium.
We are looking at offering ADSL2+ but we are not joining the current alpha trials.  given the problems with the Max service in its infancy, we want to be able to offer this to our customers when we have seen that it is a working product and not before.
I appreciate the frustration with not being able to receive faster speeds though.
TonyOCL
Grafter

Ah... your correct we do get 448kbps but didn't modems do 512k?
Anyway in today's market place its very slow.
To get the higher speed you have currently would require a business account, except that excludes using for gamming (kids again need this - bless their cotton socks) and P2P.  Which defeats the purpose.
When you say MAX is this ADSL2+ ?  If so aren't other ISPs offering this?  What are the problems - is it BT network or your delivery and managment?  If I can ask.
Thanks

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Tony,
ADSL was introduced with an upstream sync rate of 288Kbps.  With IPStream Max, this is 448Kbps and 832Kbps on IPStream Max Premium.
We are looking at offering ADSL2+ but we are not joining the current alpha trials.  given the problems with the Max service in its infancy, we want to be able to offer this to our customers when we have seen that it is a working product and not before.
I appreciate the frustration with not being able to receive faster speeds though.
James
Grafter

Tony,
Previously, we had ADSL offering 512, 1024 and 2048Kbps speeds.
Then along came ADSL Max, offering upto 8Mbps.
The next phase is going to be wBC (Wholesale Broadband connect) which offers ADSL2+ speeds of upto 24Mbps downstream, with faster upstream speeds becoming available.
ADSL2+ does not yet exist as an official product on the BT Wholesale network, which we use to supply our customers on.
Some ISPs use something called LLU whereby they install their (extremely expensive) equipment insde the BT Exchanges, allowing them to offer some higher speeds ala Be* & O2.
ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Tony,

I wouldn't mind taking part in ADSL2+ trails. Trailist would have to understand that the service would be erratic and subject to disruption.
I fully agree with that plusnet should offer customers  a "working"
working product.
A trail would help to make sure that problems would be addressed before roll-out
Given my current situation I would question whether Max is a
working product.
however there is a danger that other ISP's will offer a product before PlusNet
history shows me this i remember when we went from 512k to 2MB the ISP I was with then denied the existence of the 2MB product.
I sent them proof that it existed and they still wouldn't budge so I  migrated to Plusnet.
I would hate to see the other ISP's offer a nationwide ADSL2 product before PlusNet.

James
Grafter

It's okay, that won't happen.
When it's released as an official product we will certainly offer it, but we've not engaged in the Alpha trials and are currently undecided on the Beta trials later on this year.
We'll be getting feedback off BT Retail though to base our decisions on.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Does anyone know which ISP's are on the Trials?
Thanks
ctech500
Grafter

At this stage I think it would be BT testing ADSL2+ internally
My feeling is that ADSL2+ will not  happen until most Exchanges swithed over to BT21CN.
samknows has a database of BT exchanges upgrade dates
it's a safe bet to say No ADSL2+ before the 21CN upgrade date.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Entanet are currently involved in the Alpha trials with BT and they are being run under NDA  (Non-disclosure Agreements) so we will not know how things are going for some time.