Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

drmiket
Grafter

Re: More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

Hi nilsatis,
You are correct the extension cable/plugs is dodgy. As you are a self-confessed non-techie I have to explain. What jelv/strat are suggesting is this:
leave the router connected to the master socket (which may be the hall)
buy a 10m networking cable (aka Cat 5e)
somehow trail the cable from the back of the router to the PC upstairs without creating a safety hazard (using big cable clips)
If you're happy to do DIY cabling go ahead. However I reckon your wife will not be too happy with a big grey cable snaking up the stairs.
If I were you I would just get a new phone extension cable instead: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=922&C=SO&U=Strat15
OR quite expensive (£60) but dead easy and unobstrusive (i.e. wife friendly) a Devolo Networking over mains (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48539).
All this does is send the network data over the mains wiring. It's a fancy plug you plug into the main and connect a supplied network cable from it to the router. Upstairs you plug the other plug into the mains and connect the other network cable to your PC. Takes 3 minutes and as long as it takes to walk upstairs. No messing about with wireless, trailing wires upstairs or through walls and is fine for browsing the web. If you want to use iPlayer or get fancy you might need the faster model which are about £100. Jarvo mentioned it earlier but I thought I would explain in detail.
Hope that helps
Smiley
M

nilsatis
Grafter

Jelv - I did as you suggested with the DECT connected and disconnected and there was no difference in the noise margin.
Drmiket - thanks for your explanation and input - easily understood by a simpleton.
I think we can finally put this one to bed. I will go with the Cat 5e cable option as I can disguise it fairly easily for most of its length.
I am full of admiration for the time and effort that you expend on these forums helping people such as myself. Particular thanks to Jelv and and Anotherone for their patience and perseverance with me but I would like to offer a sincere, huge thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
I consider myself more informed and educated in areas that were previously a complete mystery to me. Thank you once again.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No problem with the help, buying a ready made cat5e cable will sort you out (I use a 15m lead on one of my computers). Don't forget as I said earlier you can still use your old extension lead for the phone if you need it, just plug it into the phone side of the filter and the phone on the other end, as long as the filter is plugged direct into the fixed wall extension socket you shouldn't have a problem.
You should see a further improvement in your throughput speed if your maintain the current sync (or better!) in 3 or 4 days, just keep your modem/router on 24/7 and if you do happen to need to reboot or reconnection do so mid-late morning is best at the moment.
Post back your stats in a day's time, and if things look stable, there is another trick or two up the sleeve.
nilsatis
Grafter

I bought a 10m cable today and installed (if thats the correct word for crawling about on all fours behind various bits of furniture with hammer and cable tacks) tonight.
I am now working from my office. All seems to be fine and my internet speed is very acceptable.
Anotherone - I had to power down the router for a short while this evening to move it to its new, permanent site near the extension socket. I couldn't wait until tomorrow mid/late morning as you suggested as I am going away for a few days tomorrow and really needed to get the cabling sorted today before I go.
I have checked the router stats following the reboot and the only change was the SN Margin going up to 16.
I will leave the router on while I am away and will recheck and post the stats on my return.