cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

nilsatis
Grafter

Re: More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

Anotherone - I have checked the wiring in the main box and the extension box and can confirm that they are both wired to the same configuration.
I have white with blue on terminal 2, white with green on terminal 3 and blue with white on terminal 5.  I seem to have the opposite wires on 2 & 5 compared to what you posted earlier.
To answer your other questions: There is only 1 cable (round) from the main box to the extension box. When I remove the main box face plate, the extension is indeed dead. There is no sausage shaped capacitor in the extension box.
No recent decoration and no new electrical eqpt. As far as the neighbours - I don't know but I don't think so.
No flashing Xmas lights here but neighbours are starting to put theirs up inside & outside. However, my problem has been ongoing since late September and even my neighbours don't put their lights up that early.  Grin  Also, no problem last Xmas.
The extension lead from the extension box to the router is flat. The lead is plugged into the extension box without a filter. The female end is plugged into the filter that is also connected to the router cable.
I do hope this can be solved simply as Jelv's and Jarvo's suggestions might as well be written in a foreign language for all the sense they made to me.  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What we are suggesting is that as you get better speeds when plugged in to the master socket, you keep your router there and then use another method to get your network connection to your office upstairs. We've suggested three alternatives all of which should mean that there is no speed loss between the router downstairs and upstairs.
One thing you haven't tried yet is to use the extension socket upstairs without the telephone extension lead. If you could try that and post the router stats it might help clarify the best way forward (it might be as simple as buying a better extension lead).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nilsatis
Grafter

Jelv - sorry of my reply came across as ungracious. I did understand the gist of what you & Jarvo were suggesting, just not the precise technical details.
My PC has no wireless capability so I can't follow Bob's suggestion either.
I am indebted to you all for all the time and effort you are putting in to assist such a techie buffoon.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

No problem.
If you could try in the upstairs telephone extension without the extra extension lead and post the stats we'll see where we go from there.
Have you only got a single PC (if that is the case it simplifies things considerably).
nilsatis
Grafter

Yep, just the one PC.
I'll try running from the extension box later today and will post stats.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If the stats without the extension lead look better just keep the router there and buy a longer Cat 5e ethernet cable to go from the router to the PC (you only get problems with those if they are more than a couple of hundred feet long!).
Reason why long telephone extension cables can cause problems and ethernet don't: the telephone cables carry analogue signals and are susceptible to external noise, ethernet carries digital signals, is always made to a higher standard and includes error correction.
nilsatis
Grafter

Ok, I,m now connected into the extension socket upstairs via a filter. Router stats are
Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:22
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,240
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 49.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.0 
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Link (Remote): 0 
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10 
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Good or bad?
Whilst I appreciate all the help so far, I would also like to improve my education so I would be really grateful if someone could give me a few pointers in what to look for in these stats and how to decide for myself how good or bad they are.
I have also experienced a couple of line drops today - both were under a minute and reconnected themselves ok.
To update on the noisy phone line, I think it may be the DECT phone as when I replace it with a normal corded analogue phone, there is no noise. I think that maybe my DECT has had its day!
So, back to the Bright Sparks for comment on the latest set of stats.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's two figures we are looking at, the downstream bandwidth (2240) which is your sync speed and the downstream SN Margin* (15.0). In the master socket you got 2880 and 15.0 - but that was during the daytime and connections are never as good at night.
What happens is that the faster you sync, the lower the noise margin. The noise margin will vary depending upon the amount of other electrical background noise, if it drops to near zero you get a load of errors and the router/exchange will resync at a slower speed to give you a higher noise margin and thereby eliminate the errors. So that this doesn't keep happening BT set a target noise margin which is used when you router first syncs. This starts at 6, but if the noise margin keeps dropping to low they bump the target in 3db increments so that there is more room for the noise margin to drop before you start getting errors. You can tell what your target is by looking immediately after you have synced. Your target noise margin has been pushed up to it's maximum 15.
Can you keep things as they are tonight and do a reboot of the router tomorrow around midday so that we can get a comparison with the figures in the test socket at a similar time of day which you posted yesterday.
I'd also like to see what the figures look like when the DECT is unplugged.

*SN Margin = Signal to Noise Margin which is the difference between the level of the ADSL signal and the background noise
nilsatis
Grafter

Jelv - thanks for the insight - at least I know what to look for now.
Just to clarify (I don't want to get it wrong  :)) , I am currently connected to the extension socket upstairs (ie. without the extension lead). Do you want me to leave the setup as it is now and rebo0t the router from here tomorrow? If so, do you want me to unplug the DECT phone from the master socket before I do the reboot?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Leave it as it is tonight. Reboot tomorrow with the DECT still plugged in and record the stats, then unplug the DECT and have a look to see if the stats have changed.
nilsatis
Grafter

No worries. More tomorrow.
Thanks again.
nilsatis
Grafter

As requetsed , I have just rebooted the router which is still connected to the extension socket. The DECT phone is connected to the master socket.
Stats are:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:41

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,624 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.5 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

And with the DECT phone unplugged:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:06:47

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,624 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.5 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 14 
Since connecting to the extension socket, my speed has increased quite noticeably. I ran a speed test last night and it came back at 1.6 Mb which is virtually back to what it used to be. IAs I've said previously, 'm not a technical genius but even I can conclude that this shows my extension cable is what is causing the problem. Would that be a correct conclusion?
So, based on earlier suggestions, I guess the way to go is to get hold of an extra long ethernet cable? If so, where might be a good place to go for one?
I await your comments with interest but if I am barking up the wrong tree completely, do try and let me down gently.  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You can buy a piece of Ethernet cable (Cat 5) and fit plugs on yourself, handy if you are routing the cable through a wall and only wish to drill a small hole.
This can be more expensive as you ideally need a RJ45 crimping tool.
Failing that Cat 5 cables can be bought from the likes of Maplin if you have one local or a number of online retailers such as Ebuyer.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nilsatis
Grafter

Thanks Strat. Does that mean that my conclusion is correct? Wonders will never cease!! I may become a techie yet!!  Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Using the extension without the extra lead the stats are looking very close to the stats from the master socket so using a long ethernet cable is a good plan. You need something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140719 but you should be able to get cables from practically any computer store - make sure it is CAT 5e not CAT 5.
One last check on the DECT: while it is plugged in ring your home number and watch the noise margin, then use the phone and again watch the noise margin. If you don't see any change the DECT is in the clear.